Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

STRIKE BACK against registrars abusing delete policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's no secret now that certain registrars (and shill companies of the big players) are abusing the registry 'grace period' by registering all slightly interesting domains, holding them a few days, then deleting the ones without traffic before they have to pay the registry and ICANN tax.

This cheats those who purchased backorders, cheats ICANN (which is now suggesting the HONEST people pay more tax to cover the dishonest people), and just plain ain't right.

There's a way to end this -- use scripts to create traffic to ALL of the recently dropped/re-registered names until the names can't be dropped for free. I think that's 6 days, but I'd have to verify.

Their automated process (and I'm sure it's automated) will run up huge bills on domain purchased that turn our to be worthless, and the stupidity will come to a quick halt.

What do you think? We could take turns posting the domains here, just click each link and generate some traffic for them each day!

Domain Days 2024

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I like the idea and have actually thought about it myself. I think our best bet is joining together and demanding ICANN get the balls to do something about the drops. With the proposed CLS it's only going to get worse..

none

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What do you think? We could take turns posting the domains here, just click each link and generate some traffic for them each day!

They could just block referrals from dnf. You'd have to think of another way, like getting people to cut and paste into url bar, but it's a good idea.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
vtrader said:
They could just block referrals from dnf. You'd have to think of another way, like getting people to cut and paste into url bar, but it's a good idea.

Or create an email list of URLS and blast a copy to everyone daily -- it will look like type-ins (blank referral) and get them all excited.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree that this wholesale registering of names and then dropping those without traffic seems to be unethical.

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mulder said:
who is engaged in this ?

A few people with a lot of money and connections to certain registrars. They'll register names by the tens of thousands then delete almost all of them by the end of the 3 day period (unless the names, whatever they may be get enough traffic). And yes, it is quite unfair to the rest of us using backorders.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know that certain registrars (I think it's the case for .be and .co.uk as an example) will monitor the registrars for possible abuse. If the cancellation rate is above 20% (which is a lot IMO), then they will start asking questions.
That's something Verisign could do.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sdsinc said:
That's something Verisign could do.

They could and actually it's their policy, or they could look the other way with their hand out.

nathanjacobs

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'll be happy to code up a script that will do this using anonymous proxies, all i'd need is the list of names, plop them into a database and off we go.

No way they'd be able to ban us.

Nathan

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom