Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Stupid question, but I’ve never done it before so…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
<o:p> </o:p>
If I update my Godaddy domains to show a new email address, will doing so place any type of lock on the domains?<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Thanks<o:p></o:p>

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Johnn and silentg are both right, only the registrant's name and your company name (even correcting one letter) triggers that, strictly speaking.

But as Johnn points out, it gets a little more complicated. I used to trust the Last Update date listed on Go Daddy's own WHOIS, it used to be pretty reliable. Not anymore.

For example, when you renew a domain (same owner) a new 60-day lock period gets activated. Some people forget about this. I did, and a buyer of mine almost cancelled our Escrow.com deal for that reason and he was giving me a decent price. There can be other cases but no one comes to mind, if you don't have an account manager and you want to move a name out of GD for sure then email Support and get it in writing from them as to when exactly the domain can be moved out.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Definitely worth doublechecking. Because I believe if you change anything in the Admin's contacts, a new 60 day lock is placed. I am positive that is how it used to be but may have changed. Advice was given to me from GD account exec to NOT mess with the Admin contact.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Does the lock only apply to transfers or are pushes to other GD accounts not allowed?
Only applies to transfers. Safe to push to another account but need to note that the lock goes with the name. 60 days is 60 days. So both buyer and seller need to be aware of this: If changes made to Admin contact, there is a new 60 day lock (GD's thing) imposed.

When you are pushing from account-to-account, it is important to note during the transfer process to use existing contact info. If you indicate new contact information, you have to manually enter everything (including a new admin) and this will create a 60 day lock for the recipient.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
By the way, I love the title of this thread:

Stupid question, but I’ve never done it before so… where do i put it?

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's the example that didn't come to mind in Post #4, when you push a domain to another account a new 60-day lock will start as well, just like when you renew a domain or change your name or co name. My buyers are always asking me this since some new people don't understand this well as it can be confusing.

I have found that even if changes are made to the Admin (or all 4) contacts to keep the name of the losing registrant intact and have it carry over to the new account (gaining registrant), ie a manual push and not an automated one, even if you do all that, a new 60-day lock will indeed get activated. What causes this is the change of account itself, irrespective of what the contacts are in Admin or all of them.

When I renew a domain w/GD the 60-day thing starts all over again and no contact info whatsoever was altered. So with renewals and pushes it is the change itsef that does that and nothing can be done about it. Does anybody know how GD gets away w/this self-perpetuating 60-day lock when nobody else can ? How does ICANN even let them ? I've always wondered.....

Only applies to transfers. Safe to push to another account but need to note that the lock goes with the name. 60 days is 60 days. So both buyer and seller need to be aware of this: If changes made to Admin contact, there is a new 60 day lock (GD's thing) imposed.

When you are pushing from account-to-account, it is important to note during the transfer process to use existing contact info. If you indicate new contact information, you have to manually enter everything (including a new admin) and this will create a 60 day lock for the recipient.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's the example that didn't come to mind in Post #4, when you push a domain to another account a new 60-day lock will start as well, just like when you renew a domain or change your name or co name. My buyers are always asking me this since some new people don't understand this well as it can be confusing.

I have found that even if changes are made to the Admin (or all 4) contacts to keep the name of the losing registrant intact and have it carry over to the new account (gaining registrant), ie a manual push and not an automated one, even if you do all that, a new 60-day lock will indeed get activated. What causes this is the change of account itself, irrespective of what the contacts are in Admin or all of them.

When I renew a domain w/GD the 60-day thing starts all over again and no contact info whatsoever was altered. So with renewals and pushes it is the change itsef that does that and nothing can be done about it. Does anybody know how GD gets away w/this self-perpetuating 60-day lock when nobody else can ? How does ICANN even let them ? I've always wondered.....
I know you have a bone to pick with YoDaddy, but you are off base here.

You are quoting me yet not paying attention to what I am stating. No, when you push to another GD account, a new 60 day lock WILL NOT START anew IF YOU PUSH to the other person's account and DO NO SPECIFY any other changes. You have to make the correct selection when pushing.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know exactly what you were referring to, we've tried that, ie you do not specify changes so the old registrant's info will be displayed in the new account, it may seem that it works in theory but I've found a new 60-day lock does still get activated. Not to make too fine a point on this, it's OK if you don't believe me. Just try transferring a name out of GD in the following 60 days. It will not work. No matter what the Last Update date on GD's own WHOIS says.

You're not disputing what I said that when I renew a domain (and NO changes whatsoever are made in any of the contacts) a new 60-day lock does apply. If your theory about pushes were correct (that leaving the exact same registrant's info for the new account will NOT trigger a new lock), then why is one triggered when a domain gets simply renewed w/no changes at all ? Same logic.

BTW one of the things a GD account manager can do for his customers is override this 60-day lock. So if somebody has one they shouldn't be concerned about this.

I know you have a bone to pick with YoDaddy, but you are off base here.

You are quoting me yet not paying attention to what I am stating. No, when you push to another GD account, a new 60 day lock WILL NOT START anew IF YOU PUSH to the other person's account and DO NO SPECIFY any other changes. You have to make the correct selection when pushing.

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
[/I]You're not disputing what I said that when I renew a domain (and NO changes whatsoever are made in any of the contacts) a new 60-day lock does apply. If your theory about pushes were correct (that leaving the exact same registrant's info for the new account will NOT trigger a new lock), then why is one triggered when a domain gets simply renewed w/no changes at all ? Same logic.
Called "fuzzy" logic. If you were to renew a name in advance (say 14 days before expiration), there is NO new 60 day lock. But, if you try to do this WITHIN 10 DAYS OF RENEWAL, you might run into some issues because ICANN will not allow names to be transferred.

The best thing, rather than you and I hash it out, is for you to contact a GD rep to clarify, right here on this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom