Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

sub domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotman

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi

can you have several sites occupying the same web space?

is this a subdomain?

sorry if this is a really basic question

NickStagg

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
could be a subdomain as in

sub.domain.com

or you could have a section of your web space with a completely different domain pointing to it, depending on how your server is set up

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If your hosting package allows more than 1 domain then you can host as many sites on the same webspace as the package allows, a basic webhosting package usually allows 1 domain but if you have a business package or a reseller package then I am sure that you can host more than 1 domain. As NickStagg said Sub-domains are an extension a domain you have hosted, if all you have is a basic one domain package you can create a seperate cpanel for a sub-domain and host a different site there , you can then forward/frame a new domain to that sub-domain if if you want that site to have its own url., hope this helps.

dotman

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thanks

Ive got a business package with 1&1, too much space for one site so i want to divide it up in to several sites. Just dont know how to do it

Dr. Domaining

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have over 115 domains hosted with 1&1. All that you need to do to direct your domains to different destinations is create a new directory. In order to do this go into your control panel and click on the domains icon. Once you are in your domains control area click on the domain you want to redirect. Once you have clicked on that you will see an edit destination button. Click on the edit destination button. You will see where you can change your home directory. Click to create a new directory. Now you just type in the directory that you want to enter. Always include a / in the beginning of your new directories.

Please PM me and let me know if this helped. Also, feel free to contact me with any other questions you may have about this. I hope I helped.

Good luck with everything!

QUOTE=dotman]thanks

Ive got a business package with 1&1, too much space for one site so i want to divide it up in to several sites. Just dont know how to do it[/QUOTE]

dotman

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the help, I will give this a try Dr

Mr.Domains

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What's that 1&1 hosting deal like? 115 domains, sounds interesting. I can only host 25 domains with my host, and I've already used that many!

PapaStiz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mr.Domains said:
What's that 1&1 hosting deal like? 115 domains, sounds interesting. I can only host 25 domains with my host, and I've already used that many!

Are you referring to "real domains" or "sub domains". If you are trying to host real domains like toplevel.tld then you are definately going to have a limit on how many you can host on your account.

If your talking about sub.domain.tld then sometimes your provider will give you unlimited subdomains. Depends on what package you have. Either way, if you need to host a bunch of toplevel.tld's then you are going to need a bigger hosting package :)

Regards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom