Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Sued for revenue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigga

DNF Regular
Reaction score
I was having a debate with a fellow domainer recently about typos/cybersquatting and getting successfully sued.

If you have a typo with an obvious TM issue, is the company able to sue you for lost earnings and any other costs? Are there any precedents of this happening and what are the worst ones?

If anyone could shed some light and help settle a dispute :wink: please throw in your $0.02!

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Measures of damages in TM cases can include the TM owner's lost earnings or the infringer's earnings. Additionally, if the case involves willful infringement, then the selected figure can be tripled, and attorney's fees added on top of that.

Even in the absence of any earnings either way, a court can award up to 100K in statutory damages.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was having a debate with a fellow domainer recently about typos/cybersquatting and getting successfully sued.
+++++++++++++

They don't even have to be successful.

If you let them engage you in battle, you will need counsel, and after you retain counsel, your legal fees will run you a minimum of $15,000 if you settle, $50,000 to discovery, $100,000 through heavy discovery, and $250,000 to full trial.

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wonder.. does this apply to disparaging websites as well? Such as paypalsucks.com and the like?

And where is the line drawn on these types of sites between TM and freedom of speech?

WebCat

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by WebCat
I wonder.. does this apply to disparaging websites as well? Such as paypalsucks.com and the like?

And where is the line drawn on these types of sites between TM and freedom of speech?

WebCat

No legal eagle, but I believe that the owners would claim free speach in defense and say Paypal only wants it to protect from others saying bad things about their business.

There was something similar to walmartcanadasucks.com or something like that.

websitedeveloper

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The above comments are scaring me!
As an owner of several trafficked typos (a few of which are of famous websites and receive 100+ type-ins per day) what should I do so as to not get into any trouble?

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by clicknow.to
As an owner of several trafficked typos (a few of which are of famous websites and receive 100+ type-ins per day) what should I do so as to not get into any trouble?

Close down all your offending sites and let the names expire would be the obvious answer.

Tony

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by clicknow.to

I will take them off your hands for you. :eek:k:

Tony

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Double Post. Sorry Mod please delete

websitedeveloper

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tony
I will take them off your hands for you. :eek:k:

hehe LOL!

So far I've been pretty lucky - recently I had to transfer two domains to AOL (were receiving 250+ type-ins per day) and am currently in the middle of transferring a famous person's name .com to them (which I only have to do because I was stupid enough and offered to sell it to them :goofy: [it receives about 300 type-ins per day])

You win some, you lose many!
(I will *probably* let the others drop - they are not worth the worry!)
Thanks for your comment namedropper :eek:k:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom