Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Suggestions to improve LIVE Auctions

Status
Not open for further replies.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
from other threads there have been complaints about recent live auctions from the number of bidders, the ever changing rules, functionality of the system, etc. To put a positive spin on this, Here are my suggestions to improve the auctions. Please add your comments as well.

Problem: Lack of retail or large numbers of buyers

Solution: The auction needs to have a home page or domain of it's own so potential buyers don't have to dig deeply into a specialty forum to find it. Some long time forum members even have difficulty in finding it.

Problem: Time of auction

Solution: Proxy bidding seems to be working, but the only ones using it are other sellers. From the above solution of a separate home page, names and proxy bid links should be front and center. Maybe even a small box with random names on the front page of the forum.

Problem: After the $1 names, everyone leaves the auction

Solution: Randomize all names so there are potential bargains at the end. Maybe make a maximim start bid so that rediculous starting prices like $10,000 don't scare people away. Alternately, have all names start at $1 with hidden reserves. This may even set some standard of value even if names don't end up selling.

Selling in the auctions should still be part of this forum. However, I don't feel buying/bidding/promoting should be.

Problem: Technology used for auction

Solution: the auction is a java popup window. Since many people now have popups disabled due to spam, I think a constant java frame in a regular auction site window would be more welcomed. The hidden moveable frame that hides some characters in the auciton window should be moved or made visible so people can adjust it. Refreshes of the list should be separate from the bid window. I have several times not made a bid causing a seller to lose a higher prices because my bid was not taken due to a window refresh.

Maybe by offering solutions rather than complaints, the new forum owner will make some improvements.

Upvote 0
S

Sammy

As far as your last point, I agree, and we have been looking to implement new auction software since day one. Hopefully that will be taken care of soon.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by adoptabledomains
Maybe by offering solutions rather than complaints, the new forum owner will make some improvements.

Sorry to duplicate a post from another thread - but this conversation is scattered in several and my post relates to the topic of this thread so I'll add it here:

Some good ideas there Mark. Solves a couple of problems. Gives the auction more visibility to the outside world and keeps it from over-riding the primary purpose of this site. Having sales opportunities here are great but that is not the main reason I came here and have remained here. This has been a very special forum, with a great mix of old and new talent sharing ideas. It has also been a great place to promote our individual enterprises. All of that has been well worth the $50. The occasional sales to other resellers for pocket change has been a nice bonus.

However, I think DCG would be making a mistake to take on the responsibility of delivering end user buyers to members here. I don't think it can be done on a consistent basis (and no other sales venue in the industry has succeeded in doing it either). So all he would be doing is setting himself for criticism from those saying he didn't deliver what he promised. I would keep the forum focused on what it has done a great job doing and let the members take responsibility for registering good names and finidng the end user buyers for them. There are endless ways to go about doing that. An auction venue related to DNF would be a great tool but it is not going to be the magic solution some people seem to believe in. If DCG or anyone else ever makes that discovery, they will be sipping margaritas by the pool every day instead of working (kind of like GregR :) )

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke

Sorry to duplicate a post from another thread - but this conversation is scattered in several and my post relates to the topic of this thread so I'll add it here:

Some good ideas there Mark. Solves a couple of problems. Gives the auction more visibility to the outside world and keeps it from over-riding the primary purpose of this site. Having sales opportunities here are great but that is not the main reason I came here and have remained here. This has been a very special forum, with a great mix of old and new talent sharing ideas. It has also been a great place to promote our individual enterprises. All of that has been well worth the $50. The occasional sales to other resellers for pocket change has been a nice bonus.

However, I think DCG would be making a mistake to take on the responsibility of delivering end user buyers to members here. I don't think it can be done on a consistent basis (and no other sales venue in the industry has succeeded in doing it either). So all he would be doing is setting himself for criticism from those saying he didn't deliver what he promised. I would keep the forum focused on what it has done a great job doing and let the members take responsibility for registering good names and finidng the end user buyers for them. There are endless ways to go about doing that. An auction venue related to DNF would be a great tool but it is not going to be the magic solution some people seem to believe in. If DCG or anyone else ever makes that discovery, they will be sipping margaritas by the pool every day instead of working (kind of like GregR :) )

I think DNF serves many uses. It's a domain library. It's a meeting place. It's a auction site. It's a place to learn the ".biz". It's a place to go when you get a C & D letter. I don't think you can put DNF into one box, nor should we try to.

I agree with you that trying to send "end users" here to buy domain names on a consistent basis would be a difficult undertaking. For one thing End users are people who like "Escrow" services. It would be very cost prohibitive unless we are talking about selling "top" tier names. It could work if you could convice the End User to pay all the costs. For mediocre names, that wouldn't justify the costs. Nonetheless, I wouldn't end discussion on this subject. Maybe instead of an "Auction" for "end users". How 'bout we form a "DNF" Consortium whereby each person (plat/gold members) could put their names in a "hat" for End Users to see. The DNF consortium page would be marketed in SE's...directly...via email campaign.

izopodian theory: Domain Names are still a commodity that is vastly under utilized and at the very least grossly misunderstood. In this type of market you need to "educate" your prospective buyers. Don't tell them. Show them. How?? Driving traffic to a site at the flick of switch would do the trick!!!

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
To add something along the lines of my izopodian theory of domains.

The best way to sell your names if you think about it is to develop them. Once their developed. Make sure the site is optimized for the SE's to start the traffic flow. Once you have traffic, then the "sales pitch" is easy. Point traffic to a web address of their choosing.

I really do think this is the future of domain sales. Showing people how good a name really is. Buying a name "Site Unseen", is something companies can no longer afford to do.

This whole traffic idea is not a "ancient chinese secret" either. Kind of interesting that the new owner is in this line of work as well. Maybe a suggestion to DCG, et al would be to "include" some type of traffic to a specic domain via an "upgrade" from Plat to Titanium membership (or something like that).

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom