Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Summer 2011 Will it be hotter WHERE global warning predicts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 73132

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Honestly ( should NEVER start a conversation with that word), do you BELIEVE global warming is happening besides all the recent tornadoes (that can always be the norm to expect that) but am asking if you believe it is true. I do but if you don't.. why not?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I don't know if it's called global warming or simply f*ucking up Mother Earth. All I know is that the ozone layer in the Arctic and Antarctica are thinner than Prince William's blonde hair. That causes the ice caps to melt and the waters to rise, the change of flow of Gulfstream and a chain of events. Maybe if we lived 1,000 years each we could aggregate the data per millennium. Until then, we can only help preserve the environment using cautionary use of technology e.g. by controlling fuel emissions.

Nathan King

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The hole in the ozone layer was caused by chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs). Global warming is a different (tho possibly related) issue.

The question is not whether or not global warming is occurring. The question is how much of a hand man has in it (and in what ways), and how much of it is just part of the natural cycle of things.

If you ask me, there are more important environmental issues to worry about than global warming. For instance, the continued deforestation of the rainforests. Despite what many believe, the main problem is not logging. The main problem is the burning away of mass amounts of rainforest to create farmland. The oil palm tree being the #1 such crop, which goes to make the palm kernel oil that you see in ingredient lists.

Another major issue that mankind will be forced to deal with is water pollution. There was recently a major kill-off in a stream nearby where I live. All fish and most life within a several mile long stretch of creek were killed. It was found to be caused by waste from the largest dairy farm in Illinois. These kill-offs are not at all uncommon, and happen all the time around the US and around the world.

As far as man's influence on global warming: there are many chemicals that cause serious environmental damage; I'm just not convinced that CO2 is one of them.

H

H2FC

Peer-reviewed science should be the ultimate authority on whether or not MMGW (man made global warming) is real but sadly its not. There's no higher standard than evidence-based research conducted by experts, which is then rigorously scrutinized by other experts to settle this question. To deny a scientific consensus based on so much evidence, you have to deny the scientific evidence....and thats exactly what the skeptics are doing.

The preceeding was taken from this recent article, http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/blog/2011/apr/28/climate-change-denial-skeptical-science

I am deeply concerned about this issue because I'm convinced MMGW is real and it will have a very negative effect on future generations. Our children along with many of the younger of us, will be hurt by climate change....to what extent, I don't know, but it could be severe.

I believe (as many will agree) most of the greedy rich care more about their fortunes than they do about this world or any of us in it. Many, if not most of the greedy rich fortunes are linked to the continuing use of fossil fuels for energy and for that reason they have bought and paid for many (if not most) of our governmental leaders. Thats why so many common people are skeptical about the impact of climate change and the MMGW that causes it. Money can and does suppress and keep the truth from the masses.

I once read thats its almost impossible to make a man admit the truth when his fortune and livelyhood depends on the truth being labeled a lie. This is exactly what's happening today in regards to MMGW.....and the everyday common people like you and me are going along with it. I see this as a disgrace to the human race....and I for one will have no part of it. I don't like to be misled and taken advantage of by the greedy rich just so they can get richer...and I don't like to see my fellow man be taken advantage of either.

I urge everyone who reads this to reject the lies being originated and passed down by those who would benefit by continuing to burn fossil fuels for energy. We need to demand our governments promote and lead the way towards a new energy future without fossil fuels. Of course it will cost more in the beginning just like all other new technology does but that expense can be paid by using our money more wisely. We should start by diverting the 4 billion $$ tax money to green energy which is now being given away free to oil companies every year in subsidies.

Last edited by a moderator:

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The ice at the poles is melting back, and glaciers are getting smaller, so there must be some kind of warming trend. I've seen the CO2 emmission levels going off the charts in studies, but the heating up doesn't seem to be going 'off the charts'.

That said, here in BC it has been a very cold spring and the summer is expected to be cooler and wetter than normal. Snow is lingering in the mountains later than usual.

With global warming theory, I believe the summers are supposed to get hotter and winters supposed to get colder. Seems to be a gradual thing and with technology who knows what can happen (like pulling CO2 back out of the atmosphere). For example, they have technology these days that is supposed to be able to create rain clouds. I like the idea of moving to greener tech and energy, and less emmissions, but it isn't happening quickly.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here in NC, there was very little transition from Winter to Sping...it just happened.

I was really concerned because many of my berry crops were budding and blooming towards the end of February, typically the time of year they are in their freeze stage. Flowers, bulbs, bushes and trees were all budding and blooming as well. A severe cold snap would have been devastating as it would have killed all the buds and blooms.

I was mowing my lawn in early March. This was definitely the earliest mowing time ever, typically a mid April chore.

The weather patterns are all screwed up and appear to be happening year after year. For sustainability and crops, this could be equally devastating as the growing season and regions must be changing as well.

We have had adequate rain but that rain has also been accompanied by ferocious storms, lightning, tornadoes, damaging wind, and hail. It used to be, if we had lightning in winter it would snow within 10 days (old wife's tale but true). No longer is that the case. Now, if we have lightning in winter its because we are having a bad ass storm. Perhaps more to come. I have lost count of the number of hail storms we have had this spring (and winter). Usually this is followed by a tornado or damaging winds.

We should be concerned about habitats - our own. What is traditionally the bread belt is also known as Tornado alley. But, more tornadoes are happening with greater frequency in the southeast and mideastern US. Now known as "Dixie Alley", many are comparing models and patterns over the past 25 -50 years. If climates begin to change and growing regions and seasons change along with the climate, we could see in the Great Plains and on up into Canada a literal shift of the growing regions. If this were the case and is happening, if the growning regions are shifting further south and east, this spells bad news for agriculture. A shift further south and east puts the growing region smack dab in the middle of the population belt. There are not the great expanses, flat land, and growing conditions that are present in the bread belt regions. A shift in a more northerly direction on up into the upper reaches of Canada would also have devastating effects. Because just when you think you have mother nature firgured out, she slaps you down. Any shift to any parts now not known as heavy crops and agriculture is risky, risky in the terms of stable weather patterns. You simply can not have crops start to bud and bloom and then be frozen and survive. A frost is a killer to many crops.

Global warming? That will be debated until all the air is exhausted by the two sides. Without question, climate change is real. And a climate change or climate shift is not a good thing...as we have witnessed in the southeast over the past week.

Nathan King

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Global warming may not be all bad, despite the media's fear-mongering. For instance, the CO2 level on earth is much lower than what is optimal for plant growth. Plants actually thrive in a CO2-rich environment.

It's not surprising that as we destroy more and more CO2-consuming trees, the Earth's CO2 level rises.

Of course none of us here are really qualified to say one way or another, though I think we can all agree that we need to be doing more to protect the dwindling environment (for our sake; mother nature will be fine at the end of the day so long as we don't nuke her to oblivion).

Edit:
I should note that the media's love of fear-mongering, and their manipulative one-sided reporting, are what makes many people skeptical about the whole climate change issue. The mainstream media has the opposite of credibility.

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Climate change may not be all bad, despite the media's fear-mongering.
Interesting assessment. I don't go by what the media says. I go by the first hand experiences of farming for over 35 years and being an observant person. The assumption that climate change may not be all bad is a hard pill to swallow for those that depend on stable climates and environments; which would include nearly all of us who eat food.

I hardly brush this off as media fear mongering.

Nathan King

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Interesting assessment. I don't go by what the media says. I go by the first hand experiences of farming for over 35 years and being an observant person. The assumption that climate change may not be all bad is a hard pill to swallow for those that depend on stable climates and environments; which would include nearly all of us who eat food.

I hardly brush this off as media fear mongering.

I changed "climate change" to "global warming" as it is a more accurate term for the point I was trying to make. The "unstable climate" is what farmers have been concerned about as long as mankind has been farming. An increase in this instability is of course worrisome, though it is very far from guaranteed.

Last edited:

rmbdomains

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Climate change or global warming, just because your area has warmer temperatures or unusual activity does not mean it is related to human interference. Just because you witnessed unusual activity in the Southeast doesn't mean that its human-caused climate change. There were many worse tornado outbreaks and stroms hundreds of years ago.

No matter what, there are too many statistical variables that go into the causation of weather and temperature and, although an association may be made, a human causation can never be confirmed.

Human-related climate change/global warming is not fact, but myth or hypothesis. My suggestion: follow the money.

Global Warming is true, though, and the earth is in its natural cycle of warming phase. http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/ice_ages.html

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I believe in whats called "global normalization". (I think Al Gore is making a movie on this ;) )

But the solar system is a bit bigger than a few smoke-chugging factories and a few million cars.

And if you perscribe to the 11.11.11 theory, we will have bigger problems as we pass through the comets tail.
(if you have to ask, ask somone else.)

H

H2FC

In order for one to believe MMGW is true and will cause very serious problems you must first understand the greenhouse effect on our planet. The greenhouse effect is a proven scientific fact. http://www.edf.org/page.cfm?tagID=35215&source=ggadgw35215&gclid=CLrH7c6RyKgCFYfe4Aod_zaFqg

Science community confirms global warming is happening - and people are the cause. http://www.edf.org/article.cfm?contentID=11016

For a person not to believe in MMGW they have to deny vast amounts of scientific evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom