Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Surface names

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodash

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Haven't heard anything about those thousands of "surface" names registered after Microsoft announced Surface Computing. I read somewhere that there is some doubt as to whether MS can trademark "surface", that it may be restricted to "Microsoft Surface". Anyone heard anything on this? I'd be surprised if they couldn't, given that they got away with trademarking the word "windows".

Keyboard Cowboy

Positioning / Publishing
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not a lawyer, but I believe you can trademark a generic word like windows, as long as you're not actually making windows. I would think they could TM surface as well, but obviously only in the "computing" field. Better get Berryhill to chime in

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
To register a generic word as a trademark you need to make it distinctive such as by making the word like tHiS or in DIfferent colours.

DG

cyberlaw

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Microsoft (or anyone else) can't hold the entire trademark universe for the word "surface" unless they're providing goods and services for every industry that has some type of "surface." I'd stay away from stuff like surfacesoftware.com and MicrosoftSurface.com but other domains that use the word surface outside the software industry are very unlikely to be at risk.

Eric M.
CyberLaw® P.C.
http://www.cyberlawonline.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom