Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

SWIFT number in US banks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZaZZeR.com

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a site for sale here on dnforum and the buyer is in china. He keeps tellling me that I need to give him my banks SWIFT number or BIC number, but my bank tells me they don't have those numbers and all the buyer needs is my account number and routing number. Anyone ever heard of these numbers before? Is there any other way to get a wire transfer without these numbers?

pleasedelete

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Pretty much all US Banks have an ABA number for wire transfers. Tell them you need to receive an incoming international wire transfer and the sender requires an ABA number. It is all numbers and no letters. The SWIFT BIC code may contain letters and numbers, but I bet your bank will give you an ABA number.

ZaZZeR.com

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes they gave me the aba number, but the guy doing the wire transfer says that ALL banks have a Swift number and he cannot wire the money without that number. My bank says they accept wire transfers everyday from all over the world and that they do not have a swift number. Do you think maybe the guy has changed his mind on buying my site and just doesn't want to tell me so he is making up excuses? I mean, I have gotten wire transfers from Canada (monthly) and from UK and never had a problem.

pleasedelete

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't know... I do know that Bank of America gave us SWIFT BIC and ABA numbers. If your bank doesn't know their SWIFT BIC, and the other guy's bank doesn't know how to use an ABA, then you might want to get a BOA account.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Your bank should indeed have a SWIFT number. It's of the form BOFAUS33, for example (don't use that one, though!). For international wire transfers, SWIFT tends to be the standard routing method.

M

mole

SWIFT is standard wire transfer/OT protocol for overseas transfer. If your bank doesn't even understand this, change them.

DNForum-News

Level 5
Reaction score
Hello,

Here is my understanding on the situation. From my experience Swift code is not always necessary, however, in some cases it may be when doing an international transfer:

ABA is a REQUIRED 9 digit field for all U.S. bank transfers. This is a unique routing number devised by the American Bankers Association (ABA) which identifies a specific financial institution within the US. Swift Code is a unique identifier with at least 8 characters for all foreign financial institutions. A Swift Code is REQUIRED for foreign transfers.

Hope this helps! Ask another member of yur bank for a SWIFT Code and let them know that it's an international wire transfer!

I've personally never needed a swift number when transfering funds into the USA, only ABA, but in this case his bank might need one.

Regards,

ZaZZeR.com

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Arrrrggggh! I just called my bank again and they told me again that the DO NOT have a swift number, and that it is not required. The assured my that the US does NOT have a swift code. So how am I supposed to get paid? Any ideas?

DNForum-News

Level 5
Reaction score
PM sent please check

MilkyLicker said:
Arrrrggggh! I just called my bank again and they told me again that the DO NOT have a swift number, and that it is not required. The assured my that the US does NOT have a swift code. So how am I supposed to get paid? Any ideas?

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Milkylicker: Easiest solution is just to open an account at Escrow.com -- the buyer can send funds there, and you can get paid by wire or bank transfer or cheque, etc.

ZaZZeR.com

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks GeorgeK, I will do that if this doesn't work. Thanks Cinderella for the help.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MilkyLicker said:

Seriously - time to change banks. I use a small local bank (in the US), and the friggen RECEPTIONIST was able to rattle off the SWIFT code!

ZaZZeR.com

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I live in a small town in Northern Montana and there is 1 bank. How am I supposed to change banks? Drive 100 miles to the nearest one? lmao

But seriously, I know I should change banks, but it is difficult in this area.

DNForum-News

Level 5
Reaction score
Hi,

As I mentioned, I have done many wire transfers (international) to the USA and not once have they asked me for a Swift Code. I think it's your buyer that may be confused. Doubt it's the banks! I know that I have NEVER needed a Swift Code to do a wire into the USA, only ABA Routing Number.

BUYMYHOTDOMAINS

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
ive been through this before also and all he needs is your routing number and account number and the name of the bank and account holder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom