Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

T.R.A.F.F.I.C. exposure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain Days 2024

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Lets hope they like 'hell' :)

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I prefer heaven.com
but that's another story................
Pred :sick:

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Isnlt hell.com that secret domain forum ? ;)

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Denny,
yeah believe so, website combined with name on offer i think.
don't want to visit as having bad enough day, don't want to go to hell too!
Pred :yo:

Salient

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Im quite confident I wouldnt drop seven figures on that domain. Personally, I would prefer auction or elections.

You have to be excited to see it listed front page on the Journal, with article on page two of the Marketplace. Very nice.

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bloody hell, I see he has a Google search box on his site.

I should know this but; will the owner of hell.com be earning PPC from the results of the Google searches done on his site ?

If so I quite fancy setting that up for my 'rage' site. Would PPC via a search box be easy to set up?

Im quite confident I wouldnt drop seven figures on that domain. Personally, I would prefer auction or elections.

Yeah I prefer 'Auction'. Any future customer services department for 'Hell' would get loads of stick. But still a GREAT name.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Creature,
yeah you can bung a google search box on when doing your adsense set up. It will then list sponsored links i believe. You get the clicks from them. Think that's how it works.
Pred

NB: Auction is the best domain being sold without doubt.

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree. Auction.com will sell for the most out of any of those.. It's an AUCTION.. for AUCTION.COM... It's an instant business for whoever buys it.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Cameras.com just sold for $1.5 million in the auction.

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And the big HELL.COM sold for...

*drumroll*

N/A.. Everybody thought it was overpriced and the auctioneer passed on it within seconds of starting the bidding. It opened at $2.5 MIL I believe. That price doesn't seem TOO crazy, but I guess the current market interest said no to it.

I found it funny that Cameras.com sold for $1.5 MIL, but DigitalCameras.com came along later and tried to START out at $1.5 MIL... LOL! Bad timing I guess. Wrong place and wrong time for sure. There's no way anybody was going to spend that much knowing they could have owned Cameras.com instead for the same price.

There were a lot of overpriced domains in this.. such as auction.com for $8 MIL? Crazy if you ask me. Nobody even blinked an eye when that one was passed on.

And I'm not a .mobi fan or supporter by any means, but there were quite a few solid .mobi sales including FUN.MOBI for $90K I believe. (Although it may have been even higher than that. I may have missed part of that auction)

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cameras.com sounded like a reasonable deal. Within a few years, people will automatically think the "digital" part when thinking about most cameras so digitalcameras.com will gradually decline in value (it may not have peaked yet though) but whatever technology is behind it, they're still going to be called cameras!

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hell.com was a little bit overprized...it is ridiculous to hear that the opening bid price was $2.5m...lol.. But cameras.com was definitely a good name with a lot of value.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That article makes the domain business look silly - here's how...

The story headline alone is bad:

Web domain Hell.com hath no takers
Organizers hoped the online address would get bids of more than $1 million.

Then the article mentions these Aronson's comments regarding hell.com:

"Branding experts said the name is recognized more than Coca-Cola," said Aronson. "It's so enigmatic and the person who buys it has the potential to make it a very big portal."

What! Hell.com more recognized than Coca-Cola? ... I honestly never heard of nor visited hell.com until reading the CNN story. Hell.com is a nice domain for sure, but more brandable than Coca-Cola ... no way!

The article will peque the interest of many people and likely bring more into the business, which is good, but the article leaves many with the impression this is not a serious business - that's a shame.

Whoever does the next auction, please price some of the exceptional domains so they sell, and further make a concerted effort to get the news media to cover those successes not the failures.

Ron

Prosperous

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Domagon said:
What! Hell.com more recognized than Coca-Cola? ... I honestly never heard of nor visited hell.com until reading the CNN story.
Maybe they should try and sell Hell to Coca Cola then? I'm sure Coke would be happy owning a (domain) name more recognized than their (own) brand, and they sure would have an easy time coughing up the cash! Plus it'd be a match made in -er- Heaven.

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's frustrating that the media singled out hell.com in every article I read in the lead-up to the auction. There were dozens of better names in the list, but they picked that one out and then, when it didn't sell, singled it out again in the headlines which made the auction sound like a failure.

As an aside, the CNN article says Gary Kremen is the owner of Match.com - didn't he sell it in 1997 for $50,000? Obviously a well-researched article.. (http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.08/sex_com.html)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom