Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Talking NFL what about NFL related domain ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisb72

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have that domain and wondered if it would be the same? When I originally registered it about 4-5 years ago I really was not even considering trademark violation and tried to associate it with maybe a bowling event. What do you think?

emark

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation. This is what I did.

In February 09 I registered NFL guy dot com. I'm ready to develop a site with it. Being afraid of possible trademark violation, I called the NFL office. I was connected to three different people, and explained my concern. The third person said he would forward my request to the correct person.

That was one week ago. I haven't heard back from them yet. Next, in a couple of weeks or so, I'll call them again. This time I'll ask for an email address, for the correct person, so I can send a link to the proposed site.

On the sample site I did place this information for them:

"This is the site I'd like to develop"

"The term 'NFL' would not be used (aside from the domain name) to promote or advertise this website, and no NFL keywords
would be used, I would like to possibly use the term "NFL' in direct links to the NFL shop, schedules, tickets, fantasy, videos,
and stats as shown in the boxes below. Later, with the NFL's approval, I would like to place direct links to teams, player profiles, and other direct links to the NFL website for information.

Any proposed website changes would first be submitted to the NFL for approval before being made. No reference to any other football league or teams would be made, except in the NFL league history as cited below.

My commercial products would be hotels, rental cars, airline tickets, credit card services, and links for the dish network, cable network sports channels, and other non-NFL related products. These ads would be placed in, and as seen in, the box in the lower right of this page. The search box would be removed, and the titles in the menu would be changed to reflect direct links to the NFL website without using the term 'NFL'. These menu items would link only to the official NFL website pages.

The 'contact' menu link would remain, and there would also be a link to our privacy policy."

If no approval is given, I'll simply give the domain to them.

emark

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well the trademark paranoia finally grabbed me. That should have happened a long time ago. Last night I contacted the NFL, through their website, concerning the NFL domain I had registered. I realized that 'if I had to ask about a possible trademark violation, it must be one'.

They were told the same thing in the message I sent. I also asked if they would rather me transfer the domain to them now, or should I just let the registration expire. Now all I have to do is remember what email address I gave them to contact me at.

The NBA will also get a phone call and email concerning an NBA domain I registered at the same time. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

In 2000, I had to appear in federal court for a trademark violation. That's not a good thing. You'd think I had learned my lesson by now.

Sometimes I can be a real knucklehead.

I just talked to the NFL office. I was told that my domain would not be a trademark infringment, and that I could keep the domain name.

Prior to calling them, I had looked up other NFL domains and contacted the domain/website owners. They all said that they never had a problem with th NFL. Sooo, it's time to backtrack and continue the development of my site.

Here is a list of some domains that use nfl in their address. Some are developed sites, a couple are not being used, and some are listed for sale at SEDO.

free-nfl-predictions.com

nflyff.org

nflman.com

nfl-rumors.net

nfl--odds.net

nflflticket.org

nfl-bloggers.com

nflhome.com

nfleuropa.com

nfltouchdown.com

nfloddstrends.com

rnfl.com

nfl-tube.com

nfljuice.com

nfl-gambling-picks.com

nfldraftbible.com

nfl-history.co.cc

nflsportchannel.com

nfldraftu.net

nfl-players.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom