Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Tax Question: Capital Gains or Profit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domain.BUZZ

Tim Culpepper
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I'm just now getting my feet wet with domaining, and I have a question.

Consider this scenario: you hand reg a domain for $8, then sell it later for $1,000.

In the USA, how does the IRS treat the $992? Is it a capital gain, or is it a profit?

Also, just curious... how does the Canadian government treat it? The UK? Australia?

Thanks.

-Tim

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Hold for a year or more, and it's taxed as capital gains.
Hold for less than a year, and it's regular income.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I'm just now getting my feet wet with domaining, and I have a question.

Consider this scenario: you hand reg a domain for $8, then sell it later for $1,000.

In the USA, how does the IRS treat the $992? Is it a capital gain, or is it a profit?

Also, just curious... how does the Canadian government treat it? The UK? Australia?

Thanks.

-Tim

Hi

actually, depends on your total income

this is for usa:

if you have no other income and make $992, then there is no tax, because it's below the reportable amount

if you have other income and you make $992 and whomever you sell it to, does not file a w9... then there is no income to report.

if domains are your only source of income or even if you have additional source of income, then acquisitions can be inventory and their sale, can be "sale of inventory"
those acquistions are treated as expenses, as well as the renewal fee's

the difference between your expenses and profit, is taxable amount
you may also be liable for paying "self-employment" taxes.
but you can also take deductions for "internet/computer/home office, supplies, etc.' as expenses too

disclaimer: i ain't no expert, so consult a professional accountant, just telling of options i know.

Domain.BUZZ

Tim Culpepper
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wow. I'm gonna need a good accountant!

Thanks so much for the replies. I'm loving DNforum...

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To qualify as a capital gain it needs to be classified as an investment rather than a working asset/inventory. Need to be careful how you classify because you will then have to be consistent throughout. It is most likely income. Just because you have held onto it for x period of time doesn't make it a capital gain.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
be careful how you classify because you will then have to be consistent throughout.

i think that is the most important factor, no matter how you file your taxes.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hold for a year or more, and it's taxed as capital gains.
Hold for less than a year, and it's regular income.

Correct

The one thing I like best about Forums is that another poster can correct another who's not so correct.

actually, depends on your total income

Yes, For the self-employed, earnings of $400.00 or more need to be claimed.

Last edited:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I forgot to add the disclaimer about not providing legal advice. :D

The bottom line: consult with a CPA.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

This might be helpful;

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Do-You-Need-to-File-a-Federal-Income-Tax-Return?-

And I'm sure you can find other information in reference to your capital gains question.

BTW, The Capital Gains tax will be increasing in 2013 to help pay for our "Free" Health Care.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...arply-in-2013/2012/01/25/gIQAtQUuQQ_blog.html

Domain.BUZZ

Tim Culpepper
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks, everyone.

Looks like I need to keep really good records hire a good CPA...

clipper

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
To qualify as a capital gain it needs to be classified as an investment rather than a working asset/inventory. Need to be careful how you classify because you will then have to be consistent throughout. It is most likely income. Just because you have held onto it for x period of time doesn't make it a capital gain.

This is partially correct according to my accountant.

The domain must be classified not as inventory but as an asset, in order to reap the capital gains rate.

The drawback of this is that a domain is an asset which is intangible, so it cannot be "written off," but must be amortized over a number of years (as opposed to tangible assets, like machinery, which can be written off or depreciated; or inventory, which is written off).

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom