Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Taxes - Buying websites an expense or asset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonR

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of purchasing a few websites off this forum and I was wondering how this will affect my taxes.

Can I write the purchases off as expenses? Or am I unable to write it off as an expense, but instead include it as a newly acquired asset?

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
domain names are assets if you plan to resell. However it is a business expense if you buy it to host your companies website on.. then it only becomes an asset if you plan to sell it.. the tax laws are very confusing on this issue, as in theory a domain name does not depreciate in value.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Contact GregR - his annual buying spree is for tax purposes.

domaintalk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Well If you are getting a site generating revenue or so you still have to write it as your expense because sites get sold at 10-12 months revenue (correct me if i am wrong) and until you dont work hard to get more revenue off it and it runs with the same revenue it will be called as expense because you had paid and you have been less with money for that month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom