Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

The appraisals forum just isn't what it used to be

Status
Not open for further replies.

greggish

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that now when you post domains in the appraisals forum its much harder to get input from other members than it used to be. I get the impression now that the domain has to be either a stellar .com or a really bad and stupid reg to get comments. I recently posted LinuxRadio.net & LinuxLink.net and only got 1 comment. I posted a couple of others that I also thought were worthy of some feedback, but zip. Oh well, I guess things change.

Domain Days 2024

khuldun

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Same here, may be poeple arnt so much interested in appraising domains for free! or may be there is some other section, apart from the gold forums where all this is going on

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think a big part of the problem is that the paradigm has shifted so dramatically that it is no longer possible to appraise a domain by it's "looks" anymore. You need traffic, conversions, PPC revenue, etc. to get the whole picture.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe if DNF would implement for posting appraisal some DNF$ benefit, more people would appraise. Also the appraising question should be like "Imagine you are a manager of domain investment fund. You are responsible to your investors. For how much would you buy this domain ?"

khuldun

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yep, that would be better and more result oriented approach. Maybe DCG should do something like NP has for its appraisal section, a questionnaire to be filled for every appraiser. Onnly a select group of appraisers with some experience should be hired who can post there and the posting reward should be enhanced for that forum. What do you say guys?

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
khuldun said:
Onnly a select group of appraisers with some experience should be hired who can post there (...) What do you say guys?
I disagree. This is an open forum and everybody should be able to state his opinion on the domain names which are posted for appraisal.

stevo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What about a "survey" type setup with monetary ranges for a ballpark appraisal.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
stevo said:
What about a "survey" type setup with monetary ranges for a ballpark appraisal.

I used to do this all the time. It was fun to see the ranges that people chose.

As for appraisals - other factors that people are not mentioning are:

1) People should know what their name is worth. If you don't know then shame on you. It is not hard to get an approximate value on a name if you have any knowledge of the market.

2) In a lot of members' opinions, a lot (most) of the names up for appraisal are crap. Why 'waste' a post to say 'reg fee'? If you post 'reg fee', then you possibly offend the owner of the name, and it potentially starts a flame war (I have seen this SOOOOOOOOOOO many times). The owner can't believe that their newly hand-reged name is not worth $1,000,000.

Making an incentive based $F system is not the answer. That will lead to a proliferation of useless 'reg fee' posts IMHO.

-Bob

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Fearless said:
The appraisals are worth what you pay for them.
Not necessarily. Many appraisal services are only worth reg fee themselves, although they charge $xx-$xxx per domain appraisal... For instance, I do not like Afternic's appraisals at all. But that's another topic...

The appraisal forum is useful indeed, especially for domainers who are still quite new to domaining. We have many experienced members on the board who could give realistic and free appraisals. I think the problem is that most of them do not want to appraise other users' domains or they do not have the time to do.

Shaggy

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bob said:
2) In a lot of members' opinions, a lot (most) of the names up for appraisal are crap. Why 'waste' a post to say 'reg fee'? If you post 'reg fee', then you possibly offend the owner of the name, and it potentially starts a flame war (I have seen this SOOOOOOOOOOO many times). The owner can't believe that their newly hand-reged name is not worth $1,000,000.

-Bob

Bingo!! B. I think you hit the nail on the head with that comment. Most have been nothing names and would rather not offend the user, posting a - reg fee, or why on earth did you reg this - type comment.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bob said:

1) People should know what their name is worth. If you don't know then shame on you. It is not hard to get an approximate value on a name if you have any knowledge of the market.
Well I believe it's not always that simple. For instance I like to register brandable names. The value of a name is not always obvious.
In circumstances like these it is useful to have other people's feedback.
Bob said:

-Bob
Well 'reg fee' is an answer after all :wink: Some names are not even worh reg fee IMHO :) We have all made mistakes after all and I have registered my share of useless names. I think the owner actually can and *should* acknowledge that their genius idea wasn't so bright after all. If they don't then domaining may not be the right hobby for them.

Limit$

Level 7
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Bob said:

Making an incentive based $F system is not the answer. That will lead to a proliferation of useless 'reg fee' posts IMHO.

-Bob

I totally agree with you bob! Why try and ruin your rep for a lousy post.

greggish

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I can understand not commenting on a domain that is just nothing, but I've posted domains recently where I've even said "hey just reg'd these and after a few days on sedo they're already getting type-ins" and still no feedback. For instance I posted Ubuntoo.com...

http://www.dnforum.com/f4/ubuntoo-com-thread-133215.html

So far over 100 visits in a week and a half. Obviously I don't really need somebody to tell me that its worth keeping, but it nice to get the feedback anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom