Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

The best option - is that Buy Now or Make Offer? And a few questions more

leronich

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello!

My respect to the honourable experts of the forum!

I am the newbie. Self-confident like the most of the newbies. I was...:)
Bought a lot of garbage, being sure it is the gold. Realized that that gold is a mirage.
You have to lose (it seems) some money and a lot of lime to understand that you know nothing to be so self-confident. But that is how you get experience, anyway;)

Found that forum. And believe that you may share your experience with me. Hope so - I need that.

I have a few newbie`s questions:

1. What is the best option to set the price in your opinion? Is that Buy Now (like most of the auction sites declare) or Make Offer?
I believe that Buy Now is more attractive for the buyer. But it may be too high (and then you lose because the buyer will not buy) or too low (and you lose again, because you could get more).
Well, that is how business work, I understand that;)
But anyway - from your experience, what works better? And why?

2. Could you please explain me one riddle?
I can see at namebio(.)com that sometimes the same domain is bought, say, for 1000 USD, and bought again for, say, 1005 USD just a few days later. Why is that?
I do not think that someone just bought it to sell it to make a few bucks... So what is the real idea? Bought by broker and resold to the ordering customer?

3. Do I understand that correctly:
- you should invest in good .com extensions - for sure,
- you may try your luck with .org, .net, .de, co.uk;
- .es, .io - go on your risk;
- .xyz, .co, .eu, .info, org.uk, online - lottery playing - may wait forever;
- me.uk, co.com - no way, waste of money, even if the domain is one word like "airports" or "archery" or even "cars"?

4. What about .uk extension? It will be released for the registration soon. Do you think it will make it cost the same value as co.uk?

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
1: Buy now gets more sales. But the danger is that you might price your name to low and forgoe potential revenue if a bidder was willing to pay more. Domains are still very hard to value and often value is in the eye of the beholder.. Meaning one company might value it much more than 99% of others. I only use buy now on second tier names or names that I want to flip.

2: You have to show us a specific example. But sometimes auctions end with a winner.. That winner defaults on payment and the name is offered to the second highest bidder. Though in that case the second price would be lower than the first.

3: Currently the most stable and highest value potential is in .com or in some countries the local ccTLD. ngTLDs have not yet reached the maturity to invite speculative investments. So short term, .com all the way. Long term.. Probably still .com all the way. I would not look into the other extensions you mention.

4: .UK has been available for a few years now and has not attracted buyers. So no, stay away.

leronich

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, Castion!

Cannot find now the relative example for the point 2. Maybe I am mistaken, and the second price was lower really.

Reaction score
I should just add to Castion's post about .uk
Although .uk have been available for years they have only been available to the people who own the corresponding co.uk. That was a 5 year period. At the end of June nominet are releasing ALL the .uk domains where the rights haven't been taken up. Currently that list is at about 2.4 million. They are releasing the domains to the registrars from July 1st to July 6th. Then on the 8th or 9th any left will be available to the general public. A lot of registrars (myself included) are taking backorders on those domains during the pre-release. So far I have several thousand backorders so it seems there *will* be some initial interest. Only time will tell though if it gains as much ground as co.uk.

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@RobM I thought only reserved .UK names were not available to register at this point in time?

I can go buy asflknalfjalfjalfjadl.uk right now if I wanted to at Godaddy since no corresponding .co.uk name is in existance?

So shouldent this statement be: "Although .uk have been available for years they have only been available to the people who own the corresponding co.uk; if a corresponding .co.uk address exists" ?

I am pretty sure I remember buying a .UK a few years back.

Also if mainline adoption was in the books, wouldent the current right holders have made more of an effort to secure their .UK name?.. I think I remember reading somewhere that no-one bothered.

Reaction score
If a domain was registered in .co.uk at the time of release of the .uk then that domain could only be registered by the .co.uk holder.
If they allowed the domain to expire then the rights also expired and both domains were available to anyone.
If a domain wasn't registered at the time of release then new registrations had no rights associated with them.
An example is toys.uk - currently the co.uk holder is the only person who can register it but, up until now, hasn't done so. If that stays the case until the 25th then toys.uk will be amongst the domains released by nominet in the first week of July. Assuming no registrars register it (very unlikely) it will be available to the general public in the 2nd week of July.

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes.. But any other names than the ones already in existance in .co.uk has been available to register for the last couple of years correct?
As such they have not "only been available to the people who own the corresponding co.uk" ... Or have I misunderstood something?

As mentioned I am pretty sure I held a two word .UK for a couple of years before I dropped it.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Assuming no registrars register it (very unlikely) it will be available to the general public in the 2nd week of July.

so the registrars are now domainers too :)

imo...

Reaction score
To be a registrar (tagholder) at nominet is cheap. £400 to apply then £100 per year. A lot of people are tagholders just for security and to take advantage of the 'cost' pricing of uk domains. Some tagholders like me dropcatch uks for a living and sell them to the highest bidder. Others catch for themselves. You don't have to be in uk to be a tagholder or a client so there would be nothing, for example, to stop you becoming a tagholder. You could theoretically then become a registrar like 123reg, godaddy, etc and sell domains to the public. You could also then take part yourself in the daily drops - at the moment software is running at about 1 millisecond catches after release :p You could also have full control and safety of your uk domains and pay £3.75+vat per registration. Anyway I don't want to derail this thread - just thought I'd point out that there *may* be speculation in the uk market for the next few months.
However I remember .mobi :p

leronich

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here is one of the examples I was talking about - bonnesaffaires .fr is sold at SEDO at 2012-07-13 for 6,852 USD, sold again just a few days later, at 2012-07-25 , for 6,888 USD. So the profit is only 36 USD. What is the idea of that??

bon.png

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

That reported sale, may have been a price correction

also, I don't see any significance in tracking such sales, especially one that happened 7 years ago

as trying to rationalize what happened, is waste of mental energy

imo...

leronich

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ok, thank you. Will not waste yours or mine mental energy for that any more...;)

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom