Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

The dot com version of a dot net

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunroof

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just watched the video by John Berryhill, which was informative and gave me pause to think about a few of my own names.

One in particular that I own is the .com version of a somewhat popular .net. The .com I have is parked with ads that relate to the .net's product, and makes a few bucks every day.

The name is not officially trademarked, and the .net site makes no attempt to claim a trademark on the name by using the TM symbol.

Any ideas on whether this could be construed as cybersquatting? I've had the name for over a year with no complaints, and I bought it after it expired. Thanks.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Any ideas on whether this could be construed as cybersquatting?

Yup. Only questions are will the party in question make a fuss, and how far
they're willing to go.

Was the domain name acquired, say, some time after the product was first
marketed or so, then placed with ads?

sunroof

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Whois shows the .net was started in early 2006, and I aquired the .com near the end of 2006, after it expired. So, I parked the .com after the .net started. But the ads on the parked .com are not direct competition for the product on the .net site, they are for products in the same general product category, so I think I'm OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom