Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

The Empty Package Domain Scam. HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattbodis

Bodis.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've heard of this scam, where you pay someone for a domain via paypal, then they send you a package to your home address via UPS or Fedex. When you get the package, you don't know who it's from but you sign that you've received it.

When you open it there is nothing there. The owner of the domain changes the WHOIS info to your name, but leaves the email under one of his other private emails. Then when you never get the domain, you have no choice but to Open a Dispute on Paypal. When you open the dispute, the other guy says he sent the domain information via mail. Then he shows paypal the tracking information, and that you signed the package and took it. I hear that paypal closes the dispute in favor of the scammer. Atleast this is what I heard from a guy that once did it to some other dude. So anyway, now I get this email in my mail box, and ironically it has my full name, that NOBODY knows, and that DOESN'T appear on my WHOIS info. My full name only appears in Escrow and Paypal:

Email said:
________________________________________________________________________________

This tracking update has been requested by:

Name: 'not provided by requestor'

E-mail: 'not provided by requestor'

________________________________________________________________________________

Mickie Dances of INTERNET ESCROW SERVICES sent mateusz wegrzyn
of N/A 1 FedEx Priority Overnight package(s).

This shipment is scheduled to be sent on 08/28/2006.

The tracking number(s) is (are)

To track the latest status of your shipment, click on the tracking number above,
or visit us at fedex.com.

To learn more about FedEx Express, please visit our website at fedex.com.

This tracking update has been sent to you by FedEx on the behalf of the
Requestor noted above. FedEx does not validate the authenticity of the
requestor and does not validate, guarantee or warrant the authenticity of the
request, the requestor's message, or the accuracy of this tracking update. For
tracking results and fedex.com's terms of use, go to fedex.com.

Disclaimer
--------------------------------------------------------------
FedEx has not validated the authenticity of any email address.

Now why in the world would Escrow send me a package? And from Micky Dances? Not only that, but overnight? Sounds a little fishy to me. I have alot of buyers that have delayed in paying....I can't narrow it down to who it may be, or if it could be anyone. I mean maybe Escrow does send packages out? But why? And why no Name provided and Address? This scares me.

Please POST your opinion by tomorrow so I know if I should accept/decline this package at my house.

Domain Days 2024

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They buyer in this scam actually agrees and thinks that a domain will be SENT in the mail?

I don't get it. I mean I do, but I can't believe it happens. Wow!

GoPC

mattbodis

Bodis.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Oh yeah that's right. I purchased a few domains. Yes I did indeed. Quite a few once again pending purchase. I was thinking that it was from a sale, but it has to be from a purchase you are right.

These two lines worry me:

Name: 'not provided by requestor'

E-mail: 'not provided by requestor'

I think Escrow would provide it? Plus my name/last name is in lowercase letters. It is in capital on Escrow.com my account page. I mean...Mickie Dances? I'm calling Escrow first thing tomorrow

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They buyer in this scam actually agrees and thinks that a domain will be SENT in the mail?

I don't get it. I mean I do, but I can't believe it happens. Wow!

No, the buyer is not expecting to receive the domain in the mail. The seller sends a package without telling the buyer. The unsuspecting buyer signs for the package. The seller now has your signature to show paypal that you "received" something. That way they avoid a chargeback.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ebay is scam central when it comes to domain name sales.

Not saying Ebay doesn't work for some sellers / buyers, but one has to be very wary of domain listings there - scams abound and Ebay / PayPal seemingly doesn't care.

A person victimized by the empty package scam may be able to take legal action for fraud, if they are able to track down the seller; don't expect much help from the authorities - most still don't get the 'net and/or don't take such crimes seriously ... key is to be persistant in such actions, but that takes time - in many instances, it may be, from an economic standpoint, better to simply walk away and chalk it up as a learning experience and move on.

Ron

T

tekz999

Decline it. It would be in your best interest to protect your domain name(s). Just look for another buyer. Also ask fedex to do a inspection on the package as you assume its some sort of virus spreading. They will do it.

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Even if their is not a signature, All you need is a tracking number. Once that package reaches your destination, you have fallen victim of their scam. Its happend to me, not once but twice. One time with a domain name, and the other time with an actual item I purchased on Ebay.

My advice is to contact paypal by phone. The scam didnt work with me. If you contact them and explain what happend you will get your money back. their is no question about it.

Mr.Domains

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can't you open the package before signing?
That way if it's empty, refuse to accept it and don't sign...

picassoface

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If it's a high priced name, insist on using sedo or afternic's escrow. Also, if you have the time/resources, you can always pay the scammer a visit and harass the s*** out of him - at his job, home, when he goes out to dinner, etc. Observing all legal boundaries of course :)

mattbodis

Bodis.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well funny story.

I get the package today, it was a rather larger envelope, and Fedex reported it at half a pound. So I declined.

Well, now a few hours later I get a phone call from Escrow.com. It seems that somebody has sent them this thread link and they read it. They had some problems with the server and they couldn't send out a regular envelope for the checks for last week's transactions so they sent it out via Fedex in larger envelopes. And "Mickie Dances" is the manager of Escrow. You'd expect the manager to have atleast 1 Google result. I mean I have hundreds for my own name. :cheeky:

But anyway, I just declined my own money. They will resend it to my address in a week. Guess it wasn't a scam afterall! :plane: :becky: Thanks for all the advice guys/gals.

Chelsea

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
:tape: :whistle:

At least that it sorted now...and you´ll still get your money.

Anyhow, I had not heard of this kind of scam and found it once again very amazing what ideas these scammers come up with.

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Well funny story.

I get the package today, it was a rather larger envelope, and Fedex reported it at half a pound. So I declined.

Well, now a few hours later I get a phone call from Escrow.com. It seems that somebody has sent them this thread link and they read it. They had some problems with the server and they couldn't send out a regular envelope for the checks for last week's transactions so they sent it out via Fedex in larger envelopes. And "Mickie Dances" is the manager of Escrow. You'd expect the manager to have atleast 1 Google result. I mean I have hundreds for my own name. :cheeky:

But anyway, I just declined my own money. They will resend it to my address in a week. Guess it wasn't a scam afterall! :plane: :becky: Thanks for all the advice guys/gals.

That's brutal. Next time just have them do an electronic transfer into your bank account. If you ask them to do it today it should be in your account tomorrow. You probably did the right thing, though.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can't you open the package before signing?
That way if it's empty, refuse to accept it and don't sign...

I do not believe the FedEx guy will permit that.

In addition, as far as I know the only requirement by paypal is a valid tracking number.

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In addition, as far as I know the only requirement by paypal is a valid tracking number.

Yes you are correct, as I said above.
In my opinion, paypal is very unsecure. They tend to side with the scammers in most cases. However, you can always get your money back. Always ALWAYS keep your documentation in order as if you KNOW you will be forced to show it at the end of a transaction. Even if its 5 bucks you are dealing with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom