Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

The Evolution of an Industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As I browse the DNF forums, sorting the crap from the creative, one thing is abundantly apparent; this forum has talent.

Granted it also has a bunch of kids who still thinks that AprilCareers.mx is a brandable domain worth thousands.

It also has the same people touting the same shit, having learned very little over the past five years, the domainer industry appears to be divided in to 3 categories.

- The Dreamer
- The Lazy Bastard
- The Innovator

While most members fall into the first two categories, there is a significant amount that do indeed fall into the last. However, instead of these people getting together to create something amazing, they sit on the sidelines continuously coming up with new ideas, but without the talent or the skills to code, design or finance it, those people are moving into the dreamer category.

T.ogether E.veryone A.chieves M.ore

The saying that no man is an island, is lost on many here. So instead of trying to take on the world by yourselves, reach out and engage each other. Work Together and Take on the Likes of the SEDO's, the collective knowledge of this industry on a single thread has the potential to corner the domain aftermarket.

Setup project groups and create sites, scripts and designs. The revenue potential is so huge and untapped it really surprises me that this has not moved forward.

DNFORUM should be a place that creates new companies, not a school yard of kids playing trumps.

I know you have the talent... believe in it and trust it with another domainer.

Infoproliferati

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yup, there is incredible talent here. But it seems the prevailing mentality as in other industries is the notion that we are "sharks". We want to move ahead and that's all that matters. The irony, however, is that we barely move ahead because we don't allow ourselves to learn or team up.

A great example of what teaming up can do is Big Oil. About a week ago the energy committee was disappointed to learn that by their own admission the other 4 big oil companies are ill-prepared to handle an oil spill as devastating as the current gulf spill. These companies admitted that they would have tried the exact same ideas as BP. This fact alone has bought BP some face value.

Teaming up also has its benefits beyond the marketplace. Great post Namestrands.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As I browse the DNF forums, sorting the crap from the creative, one thing is abundantly apparent; this forum has talent.

Granted it also has a bunch of kids who still thinks that AprilCareers.mx is a brandable domain worth thousands.

It also has the same people touting the same shit, having learned very little over the past five years, the domainer industry appears to be divided in to 3 categories.

- The Dreamer
- The Lazy Bastard
- The Innovator

While most members fall into the first two categories, there is a significant amount that do indeed fall into the last. However, instead of these people getting together to create something amazing, they sit on the sidelines continuously coming up with new ideas, but without the talent or the skills to code, design or finance it, those people are moving into the dreamer category.

T.ogether E.veryone A.chieves M.ore

The saying that no man is an island, is lost on many here. So instead of trying to take on the world by yourselves, reach out and engage each other. Work Together and Take on the Likes of the SEDO's, the collective knowledge of this industry on a single thread has the potential to corner the domain aftermarket.

Setup project groups and create sites, scripts and designs. The revenue potential is so huge and untapped it really surprises me that this has not moved forward.

DNFORUM should be a place that creates new companies, not a school yard of kids playing trumps.

I know you have the talent... believe in it and trust it with another domainer.

inspirational for sure

trust and distance, may be the biggest factors that prevent many from "teaming" up

execution, promptness, and professionalism, play parts as well

then you have history

you wanna see how long some one will be a member here....without getting banned, saying some stupid shiz-zit or just feeling comfortable enough to get involved with them, before they go off and do something that may make you regret ever getting involved

getting some members to do a simple project "on time" like a logo, or write an article, can sometimes lead to frustration.

though some members are excellent at what they do, when they have time to do it.......it takes a while for you to ascertain who can and who cannot deliver.

imo...

axeman

The One and Only
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nice post mate, im probably in the lazy barstard catagory i guess with a touch of dreamer.

The funny thing is i posted a thread on Namepros looking for people to help me develop domains and i was willing to throw 50K at it and all 3 people who said they were keen just gave up all interest after a week or so, so i am of the opinion that the developers are the lazy barstards (from my experience anyway), they all wanted to share the profit, co own the domain yet couldnt be bothered actually doing any work!

Anyway thats my experience and i found it very negative, hence i gave up.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm just the lazy dreamer here man, anyone want to sell me their big name worth millions for $100 today? :cool:

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess the irony is that DNF has tapped into all of you as you have made this place profitable ;-) Its like having your very own steering group, or lab rats... perhaps the mentality of the members, or indeed domainers are that of selfish sectarianism... I guess I was kinda hoping that the people whom I looked up to five years ago when joining the forum had moved on to amazing new horizons.

I am disappointed that those same people whom I envied, admired and almost worshipped are still here dealing in penny domains, and regurgitating the same crap they were 5 years ago. Now is the time for those people to take stock, and instead of spending their waking hours chasing the latest forum post, they just pick a domain, develop it and never look back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom