Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

The first steps in seperating German Shepherds in the United States..

Status
Not open for further replies.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yep, it's been done. The USA (United Schutzhund Association (Schutzhund & German shepherd club that stands by the breeding standards and ethics set forth by Germany, Max von Stephanitz, and the FCI) has changed their bylaws so no member can be a member of any "competing" German shepherd club in the United States.

(To avoid confusion - I'll use USA for United Schutzhund Club and US for United States).

This is clearly targeted towards the GSDCA-WDA (German Shepherd Dog Club of America - Working Dog Association - 99% of the German shepherds you see in the show ring are part of this club - supported by AKC (American Kennel Club) where they breed for looks and usually ignore working ability.

This is a clear message from USA stating that all German shepherds must also be able to work (which is good in my book - they ARE shepherds first, beauty pageant contestants second).

The big question is where will the WUSV (World German Shepherd club) stand in this? Currently, they back GSDCA-WDA as the GSD club in the US so they'll have to make a decision: stick with GSDCA-WDA and keep the membership or move over to USA to stand by their ethics and breeding standards.

I am pretty sure that AKC will continue to back GSDCA-WDA since there are so many "Americanized" German shepherd members plus the GSDCA-WDA has made it clear that ethics are not that important by allowing puppy mills membership (yes, they currently have one).

As far as I know this does not affect DVG ([Deutscher Verband der Gebrauchshundsportvereine - loosely translated to "German federation of the customs dog sport associations" since DVG is not a GSD club but an all breed club.

Personally, I hope this "wakes" people up to the truth about the breed and how it's been practically destroyed in the US.

Here is the source:
http://www.germanshepherddog.com/documents/2009GBMAmendments.pdf

(Not by site but a popular GSD site - I'm trying to find it from USA themselves)

The dog world has seen similar before. Until the late 1950s the Belgian shepherd was seen as one breed in the AKC but was then split amongst 3 breeds (malinois, tervuern, and groenendale - while the laekenois was left out of the loop). It's the same dog, just different breeding (in UKC and IKC they're all shown as the same breed).

http://www.belgianlaekenoisclub.us/history.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom