Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

The future of .US

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I, for one, somewhat believe in the eventual limited success of the .us extension (maybe 10-25% worth and use-share of the .com) but only if the avg. american audience sees "big boys" using .us extension, and if they see major media reporting on it. If that happens, I believe that they will eventually learn that .us can be almost as good and relevant as .com.

The biggest success in my eyes, will be if average americans make .us their second default extension of choice. You know, after going to .com domain and not finding the desirable info. they will automatically check the .us alternative.

Although even that might be rare, especially as the time goes on, because I think the biggest action is not via type-ins, but via Search engines, as I believe that lazy U.S. internet audience is now conditioned to seek information exclusively via SE's (eg. that DUMB habbit of typing in "Disney.com" in AOL or Google search bar, as opposed to reaching the source directly, and just typing a freaking Disney.com in their freaking browser. I mean, how hard is to learn that concept???

Decades of lazy life habbits, conveniently described as improvement in standard of living, (eg. drive-throughs, remote-control garage openings, pizza deliveries, instant messages...) is hard to change overnight.

The upcoming "battle" promises to be long and hard.

And the outcome is anything, but certain.

Especially considering the volatility of global general market conditions, that in large extent depend on economical and political peace, harmony and order.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I hope to see major companies use .com as a lander and CCTLD for their main branches..

So you go to say..

www.dell.com and click your country. One of course would be a link to www.dell.us.
Kinda like: www.flightcentre.com

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A lot of companies are doing that. eg. VolvoCars.gr, Bmw.ca, Mazda.ca...

Then again, some of them use another .com as a local site. eg. CompanyLocal.com. eg. bmwusa.com (BMW is not the only company who isn't overly confident in Americans navigating their way to the .us. So, they are playing safe with BmwUsa.com, even though Bmw.us version appears to be owned by them)

And then we have companies like Microsoft who uses model of: Microsoft.com/local (eg. India, China, Russia...)

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Or: uk.msn.com ca.msn.com etc.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It'd be nice to see companies adopt the .US extension, but I don't really care. I'm fully into pushing toward plans of development of my .US sites and whether other major companies help push that recognition along or not I think isn't so very important. Who cares about url-bar type-ins anyway?

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stocdoctor said:
Who cares about url-bar type-ins anyway?

uumm .. a few of us.

Shaun

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stocdoctor said:
.....Who cares about url-bar type-ins anyway?

Sorry to disagree strongly with you but URL bar type-ins are quite valuable vs Links and SEO work which are comparatively unreliable and involves lots of time and effort too.

Typein traffic is free ongoing traffic which conceivably will last forever and helps developed websites greatly so you don't need to rely almost 100% on extensive costly development, heavy content, search engines and links for business.

I have a top-notch industry keyword financial name which still gets basically zero typein traffic after being online as a developed site for a long time all because of its non-type-in potential .info extension. If it was a com (possible even an org too) it would no doubt be flooded with traffic which sure would help website revenue!

M

mole

cappuccino said:
because I think the biggest action is not via type-ins, but via Search engines, as I believe that lazy U.S. internet audience is now conditioned to seek information exclusively via SE's

Amen. Type-ins are fast progressing to a "now what was that site again?" centricity and away from "wonder what is behind playboy.com?" SE's hook the fish in, good domains make the hook undetachable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom