Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

the .net / .org downfall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manu

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just been checking http://registrarstats.com/zonefile_enlarged.asp it shows that the .net + .org extension have not really progressed as well as the other tld extensions, it seems even newer extensions such as .biz|.us|.info have been doing much much better then the .net / .orgs.

This maybe because people are buying all the best names in the other extensions like crazy, also becuase of the names not being available in other extensions - but I'd have felt the .net would be similar to that of the .com, regarding the .org entension - I do actually love this extension and most of my best names are in the .org waiting to be developed some day.

So just wondering what everyone's opinons are on this - when was the last time you registered a .net|.org only to forget about it and go off register a .info to say, develop because you didn't want to lose traffic from your .net name to the .com variant?

Although this downfall can work in both ways - it also means there isn't many decent names left in this extension, which means names you have in .net|.org should increase steadily in price over the coming months!

Gee

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.net is suitable for small businesses to develop but not suitable for big businesses as you said they will lose the traffic ....etc

.org is great name for organisations = big businesses
& everything now is an organisation church , school , supermarkets....etc
in my country many people like to develop .org than .com and forward .com to it

i developed a website .net ..... medicaldomain.net and didn't want to register mymedicaldomains.com which still available and i believe it is looking great and people remember it and comes again to .net not .com

anyway it is always depend on the name not the extension

best of luck!

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I really don't like the .net extension much... I don't have many of them on my collection & find them hard to sell unless the name is primo.

I love .org names on the other hand! :)

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It all depends on what sort of site or organization it is... a noncommercial entity fits fine in .org; a network provider works in .net; and an informational site in .info.

Nameable

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Manu
Although this downfall can work in both ways - it also means there isn't many decent names left in this extension, which means names you have in .net|.org should increase steadily in price over the coming months!

While I don't necessarily agree, the optimist in me enjoys your rosy prognostication.

I think reality is that for at least the next several years (or until something big changes), .com is top dog, .net and .org are good for a large number of niches, and the newer ICANN tld's will remain occupied by trademark protectors and speculators.

As for the growth in the zonefiles - I'd bet it takes a couple years, but .biz and .info wind up down around the 10M mark just as .net and .org approach that level. .US will start to fall in a few months too, but hard to say where it will wind up.

gogeorge

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I will find that the .com is not available or would cost thousands of dollars, I can pick up a .net, .org or other name for very little money. The money I save builds the website and pays for marketing.

A good name is half the battle and building a good website is the other half. If people like your site a lot they will take the time to remember a good name with .net or .org

mayor

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is the concensus that .org names are more desirable than .net names?

Mayor

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Frankly, I have always been curious as to why people would think .net is the second best when their business or website has nothing to do with computer or network.

TexasFilly

RBS consultant
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by cyphix
I really don't like the .net extension much... I don't have many of them on my collection & find them hard to sell unless the name is primo.

I love .org names on the other hand! :)
Ditto!

Nameable

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Interesting addition here... dtobias posted in another thread a link to RFC 1591 "Domain Name System Structure and Delegation"

A snippet from that page:

COM - This domain is intended for commercial entities, that is companies. This domain has grown very large and there is concern about the administrative load and system performance if the current growth pattern is continued. Consideration is being taken to subdivide the COM domain and only allow future commercial registrations in the subdomains.

NET - This domain is intended to hold only the computers of network providers, that is the NIC and NOC computers, the
administrative computers, and the network node computers. The customers of the network provider would have domain names of their own (not in the NET TLD).

ORG - This domain is intended as the miscellaneous TLD for organizations that didn't fit anywhere else. Some non- government organizations may fit here.

So it stands to reason that as the "misc" TLD (.org) ought to see heavier use than .net.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
FYI.

In 2 chars .com domain names, most of them are not active or not available for registration anymore. You can buy 2 chars .NET between $500 to $4000, price varies depending on name quality.

You will be able to use .NET without competing with .com presence... for the 2 chars domain names.

TheWatcher.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I only own five mabey six .net's and two .org's out of roughly 250 domains. One of the .net's is a one word that I can't sell for $20, a couple are for developed sites but the others I'll be lucky to get reg fee. The two .org's are MyResume.org which is for if I ever need a job again (which I hope I don't) and the other is BelleMeade.org which is going to help me to not have to get a job. :) I very rerely even look at whats dropping when it comes to the two.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have done extremely well with .org but have given up on .net (other than 3-letter). It's the only extension I have had trouble selling from day one in this business - getting rid of one is like pulling teeth! Out of over 2700 domains I have the .nets down to about 3 dozen (less than 2% of the portfolio) and that number will keep dropping. I have found it far easier to sell the new extensions than .nets.

ctc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I love .net. I still think its second to .com no matter what statistics or anyone says....
If for example, example.com was taken, I would rather have example.net, than example.us, info, biz etc.....
Dot net is the essence domain extansion of the internet...You can do anything with it, commercial, non-profit so much more

Kid Kool

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
Frankly, I have always been curious as to why people would think .net is the second best when their business or website has nothing to do with computer or network.

because .net was a unique situation in which the average consumer doesn't associate the extension .net with "network" or "computer". they associate it with internet, hence it works well as sort of a catch all extension.

.org will always have the stigma of non profit organization. i always use the example if when i was telling some of "non-domainer" friends i was excited about trying to buy the domain "jewelry.org" from someone. They all laughed at me and said " haha an organization about jewelry? That's not a very good domain to use".

Yet when i told them i owned "cigs.net" at one time, their eyes got all big they said "now that's a damn good domain". The average person has no clue that .net was intended to mean network or computer related. This is mainly due to the slang "the net", but also the fact that since most great .coms were taken, many quality .net sites were developed of all different genres, shapes and sizes thus annihilating the idea in the general public's mind that the extension was only suited for a certain specific niche.

NickRac

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I disagree w/ the fall of .NETs, search around all the domain forums and you'll see the prices of 3 letter .NETs are skyrocketing, when I built my collection over the summer I spent 300$ on 8 domains, under 40$ each - I ended up selling every one of those on there forums for prices ranging from 50-100$, the most recent ones being in the 80-100$ range.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I really like .org for certain sites. I don't like .net under any circumstance, except for www.coffee.net :blush:

The reason I like .org so much is that it is 2nd only to .com (in the .US) when it comes to being advertised in the national media, i.e major newspapers, networks.

To be honest I wasn't always an .Org fan. I didn't think they could work for regular commercial sites. That was until Slashdot.org came on the seen. Now you have MoveOn.org, and many others who are using dot org's "legitimacy" to promote a cause or medium. That is the true strength of this extension.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.org will never fall........me love .org long time :)

as "duke' stated .net's have always been hard sells, except for 3 letter or less.

though I've sold a few......

bioterror.net
computerprinter.net
zillionaire.net

nicorlino

I BUY TRAFFIC NAMES!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
my first big sale was a .net!
single word, computer related. bought it for 900 and sold it for 4.5k (that is a 500 % revenue raise) to an end user! and that was not back in 99. it was in 2002!
best regards
nico

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom