Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

The Next Big Thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLazeD

Selling
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What is the next big thing?

OK, so the internet has very much changed the way we do things. Domain value are increasing every year etc etc.

But, are you guys looking toward the next big thing? Will there be a next big thing?

For example, what if the internet changed dratically to some sort of VR thing, and the way people go to "sites/locations" is not by entering in site.com, but some other method?

What happens to the value of domains then?

While my VR thing wont be happening for a while (if ever), what if they discover some new tehcnology tomorrow that tranforms the way people go to locations on the internet? What then?

Technology is every changing, and domains are intangible. Its not like investing in a property you know will still have a use, and be there in 50 years. Domain names as we know them could be obselete and commercially worthless in 50 years.

Thoughts?

mmkrulz

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, when internet came, i am sure it replaced quite a few things, correct? and have we all in general not beneffitted from that? i guess the same would happen, but i understand what you mean, the big players would lose big time, i guess the fair thing would be to give the big players the chance to have the first go at the new technology? kind of like when new extentions for the domains come out...

BLazeD

Selling
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mmkrulz said:
i guess the fair thing would be to give the big players the chance to have the first go at the new technology?

I disagree. That is why they can make their investment back in 4-8 years. They are taking a risk because the domain could be obsolete in that time.

It is why in the house market you will (usually) not make your money back that fast. The risk is a lot less.

To make an extreme example, sex.com is currently basically priceless.

However, using my above example, it could be commercially worthless in 10 years

dotDan

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
People are already using searches more than typing in random domain names. I think the first advancement in the internet will be extensibility--a person on a cell phone will be able to view the same pages as someone on a $3000 alienware box.

Next will be multimedia, especially with faster bandwidth speeds.

By then, I suppose IPv6 will be available, and hopefully free-form domains. (ie, i can get firstname.lastname) That would completely change how domains work, though.

BLazeD

Selling
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dotDan said:
and hopefully free-form domains. (ie, i can get firstname.lastname) That would completely change how domains work, though.

Had never thought/heard of that.

It would indeed be huge

mmkrulz

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe this is already offered, just not on a wide range, and its not approved by ICCAN either, but i remember people being to download a plugin to view these special types of names, i will do some googling and get back to this thread.

after some research, i found the website:
http://www.dotworlds.net (THIS IS NOT ADVERTISING!, please feel free to remove the domain if you think this is advertising.)

taboo

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Everyone knows that holograms are the next big thing.

OnSpec

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe that with the proliferation of cell phones, that the way we access the internet will shift to those wap enabled devices. If that does happen I believe that the importance and of numeric domains will increse substantially.

I have been following this trend for a few years now and have posted examples of how this works in other threads here.

Cheers,

JEsports

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the celphone idea is for the birds ... sure some people might use there celphone to check emails and such for convenience ... but if you think someone is going to choose accessing the internet from there celphone instead of a computer with a nice sized screen while they are sitting at home or at work i think you are mistaken.

Mr. Deleted

DNForum Mod
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JEsports said:
I think the celphone idea is for the birds ... sure some people might use there celphone to check emails and such for convenience ... but if you think someone is going to choose accessing the internet from there celphone instead of a computer with a nice sized screen while they are sitting at home or at work i think you are mistaken.
I agree, who is going to be going down the road, and say, "I need a new hat", and then search the net for one and buy it while driving down the road? And when they get home, they would rather use the home pc to buy it.

dotDan

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Informational sites--if you're on the road and want to see NFL scores, typing in three letters is pretty easy.

But you are right in the sense that _most_ sites would not make sense.

JEsports

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sports Scores, Movie Shows and Times, Restaurant Reservations, Lottery Numbers, News, etc ... can already be setup in your "WAP" favorites using just a click of a button. I don't see it changing anything personally. My two cents.

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JEsports said:
Sports Scores, Movie Shows and Times, Restaurant Reservations, Lottery Numbers, News, etc ... can already be setup in your "WAP" favorites using just a click of a button. I don't see it changing anything personally. My two cents.

Agree,small portable televisions have been around for years but you dont see people walking the streets watching them,mobiles will be limited to sports results and quick info etc,domains are here to stay so if anybody wants to sell any nice domains cheap before they become worthless,let me know ! LOL

Wap never really took off and neither will 3g, of course you will get some who will swear by it will,people still love good old texting,its short and sweet and sometimes when you cant really say it to someones face you can text them and not be to worried if they are busy as generally youalways get answer.

Texting will kick big time in the u.s soon (hopefully)

Togoodhlth

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IMO, one of the "next" big trends is happening. Searching locally. For instance Google local is big for both those searching and those advertising. Now many other SEs and PPCs are begining to move in this direction,
As part of this trend some larger media companies (Clear channel for instance) are beginning to develop their own local portals via their individual radio/tv stations. For instance many if not all of the Clear channel radio stations have set up or are in the process of setting up portals where local vendors can purchase their particular keyword(s) priced per year. Their search will return only local results and act much like a PPC showing the "owner" of a particular keywords listing first. I have been helping the local Clear channel affiliate with marketing this new service.
Assuming that this takes off other large media companies will no doubt follow suit. It is a logical way to search for certain items which many people only purchase locally.

If things change as they do in just about every industry then most who make a living trading in domain names will adapt to the changes. Those with blinders on will be left in the dust.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
britishbulldog said:
Texting will kick big time in the u.s soon (hopefully)

I like that, Texting.org that is :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom