Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

The next generic TLDs should be .web, .onl, .for, or even .mkt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infoproliferati

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For almost 2 years there has been talk at ICANN about introducing new generic TLDs. In that spirit I hereby nominate .web or .onl (online), .for(forums) or even .mkt (market). I think they would do well especially for individuals and small business owners. Mega corps might also find them catchy. Have any generic TLD ext ideas for those fellas at ICANN?

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i seriously don't understand why we would need any more TLDs? Who is ever going to type in blbablabla.mkt?

The efforts should instead be aimed toward keeping Internet free, efficient and not controlled by any governments and/or organisations

Infoproliferati

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
More TLDs may not be needed now but I think in 15+ years when the TLD industry is more mature and a lot more people are savvy about the internet there might be a sharp increase in demand for generic TLDs. I find it comical that when I used to be computer science major I knew about domains but didn't take them seriously. I don't know if the internet bubble had anything to do with my lack of interest. But then as the clock tick tocked, I learned over time about the potential of the domain name marketplace. The more research I did the more I got mad at myself for not getting in the game sooner. I couldn't believe I hadn't heard anything about the launch of .mobi or .tv a few years back. Likewise many people haven't heard of the coming .co launch. They don't care anyway. At least for now. What happens when they start caring?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Recommend all you want.

Until you put up the application fees and marketing plan for your proposals, they will be just ideas posted on a dot for(um).

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
More TLDs may not be needed now but I think in 15+ years when the TLD industry is more mature and a lot more people are savvy about the internet there might be a sharp increase in demand for generic TLDs. I find it comical that when I used to be computer science major I knew about domains but didn't take them seriously. I don't know if the internet bubble had anything to do with my lack of interest. But then as the clock tick tocked, I learned over time about the potential of the domain name marketplace. The more research I did the more I got mad at myself for not getting in the game sooner. I couldn't believe I hadn't heard anything about the launch of .mobi or .tv a few years back. Likewise many people haven't heard of the coming .co launch. They don't care anyway. At least for now. What happens when they start caring?

You seem to be talking about this in regard to making a quick buck from new TLDs, which i of course don't have anything against being a domainer myself. However, you asked what TLDs we think should be next ones and for the life of me I can't figure out why we would need any more? Looking back how domains have been used, .com has always been king and used for all purposes. .org has actually been used by organisations and ccTLDs are a somewhat natural choice for sites aimed only at domestic population.

Along comes stuff like .musem .aero .berlin .berlin and what not. Sure, there might be a quick buck for the early birds during landrush, but otherwise i don't really see the point when we take in account how people actually USE the Internet in practise (they simply won't type them in, so why bother).

Now, if you were to ask the members here what we think should be done to improve Internet for the users, i think that would be a much more interesting question.

Infoproliferati

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey Doc Com, what's wrong with ideas posted on a dot for(um)? :)
If I was interested in making a buck I would gladly have done the market research and submitted whatever application.

Good point Ice. I see your train of thought.

Last edited:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are lessons to be draw from the past.
Most 'artificial' TLDs have been failures.
Multiplying the supply by a factor of 10 or 100 won't change the dynamics at play (or the lack thereof).

Infoproliferati

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think one important factor that led to the success of .com, .net and .org is that they were the very first (and only) generic TLDs that were available by the time everyone else and grandma learned of the internet. There are so many benefits for being the first to any market. It is very hard, if not impossible, to replicate the success of these trio as such.

The other gen TLDs such as .travel, .aero, .pro, .tel and .jobs were introduced to cater to the needs of particular industries. While these have hardly been success stories, it is understandable why they were introduced. I guess I'm optimistic that as the internet evolves and as .com is relentlessly being mined, there will be a necessity for the next best thing to a dot com. As we already know it isn't .biz.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
... as .com is relentlessly being mined, there will be a necessity for the next best thing to a dot com. As we already know it isn't .biz.
Bingo. The next best thing is the ccTLDs.
In a healthy portion of the Western hemisphere they already rule the landscape. Europe is very telling in this regard - not just the UK or Germany. Other countries use their extensions too. The US is one of the few large nations that shun their own TLD.
IMO CNO + ccTLD pretty much covers everybody's needs. The rest are more like ghTLDs (ghetto TLDs) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom