Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

The Programming Language Of C ... :o

Status
Not open for further replies.

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I decided to get into programming during the summer because when I enter high-school I will be more focused on basketball, girls etc.

So I procracinated (sp?) and its the last week before the first day of high school. I got "C For Dummies, Vol 1", and am over 200 pages into it in 2 days. It's pretty easy for the most part, except some of the math in it, but im doing pretty well i'd say. I'm trying to finish it by the end of the week.

So my question is, with C can you only make programs in the DOS prompt? :S?... What language to build Applications and Programs. Should I continue with C, and move to C++ or waste my time on something else?

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You need a compiler to compile your code ;) Such as Borland Compiler..

Fadez

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Before learning the C++ you must have a knowledge of C because C++ have the same syntax of C and Java either with a little difference.

C++ = C + 1;

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When I took a course on C++ ... some 5 years ago, I didn't know anything about C, still everything went smooth; but that was just a half semester course. ;)

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
C is a good grounding for C++. The difference between the two is that C++ is 'OOP' which means 'Object Oriented', and it's this capability which allows you to use the Windows SDK class libraries to build native Win GUI apps. C is more fun with Linux if you're starting out; I can recommend that you look at Cygwin as a great Linux accompaniment to your Windows OS machine. Dead easy to install too. And if you know C, you can recompile the Linux OS kernel as you like ;)

You don't specifically need any knowledge of C to learn C++, but a knowledge of any procedural language is useful first.

Have fun!

mmkrulz

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duncan said:
I have Microsoft Visual C++ and am halfway through the C book ;)
thats a good compiler, i have Code Warrior at school, we are learning C/C++ this year, we will move to Visual Basics soon enough. I had a JAVA background, so the C language came really easy to me, as did php, its all the same basics, if you learn one, there are only minor differences.

weeps

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duncan said:
So my question is, with C can you only make programs in the DOS prompt? :S?... What language to build Applications and Programs. Should I continue with C, and move to C++ or waste my time on something else?

You can do a hell of a lot more then just dos programs. Just gotta learn to use some of the external libraries or something like python for a gui. There are so many options.

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yea, I thought C was kind of boring. All my book is teaching me is DOS stuff. It was made in 94'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom