Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

The psychology of disaster domain registrations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think such domains are short lived. Most people want to put tragedies behind them. There will be some curiosity beyond the event's date but otherwise the popularity wanes.

In terms of donating, I regged about 30 domains immediately after the VA Tech shooting. They were offered to VA Tech's IT and IS departments who thankfully accepted their being redirected to the official VA Tech news, donations, and outreach efforts.

When I first contacted them, they initially turned the offer down...thinking it was again one of hundreds of unsolicited offers to sell the name to the University.

Domainers can do some good for the community even if others are into it for personal gain.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When I got an immediate message to my cell phone about a tsunami warning a few months ago, I immediately checked the availability of okinawatsunami.com and it was available, so I regged it with auto renew.

After the big tsunami hit mainland Japan, okinawatsunami was immediately registered... but apparently they dropped it cause it missed us. It sickened me that someone registered it before in hopes that it would hit us and do as much devastation.

This time it's in my hands as Ryukyu Islands have been hit much harder 100 or so years ago and we're expected to get a big wave ourselves. Whether it be tomorrow or the coming decades, the domain is in good hands and will be used for missing people, a "wall", etc. It will never be used to make money besides Red Cross and relief programs initially.

To register such domains like Sandy Hook, the recent bombings, etc. to park for a quick buck sickens me to the core.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I suppose I fall in this category for my registration.

The question is, why
don’t they hand these domains over right away to the
authorities, the FBI, or the official relief centers but keep them
under ‘wraps’ for a supposed ‘right moment’?

And my answer would be if I registered 1000 citybombing.com domains and handed them over, would the agency continue to renew them? I don't think so, they have a better cause to use yearly regfees than the "hopes" one happens and they get donations. I don't believe it's financially feasible for them to predict, buy and renew every possibility of a tragic event.

doc24

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The only time I registered a domain of that nature was from a child abuse victim in my area and used that to get donations for the family and still maintain it today. In any event it never fails that someone will register all the domains to any tragic event. Its disgusting in every sense unless they actually are using them for a good cause and that is proven by the ones that stay around and are available and not hidden, plus easily contacted in my opinion.

doc24

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Excellent Point

Personally, I think such domains are short lived. Most people want to put tragedies behind them. There will be some curiosity beyond the event's date but otherwise the popularity wanes.

In terms of donating, I regged about 30 domains immediately after the VA Tech shooting. They were offered to VA Tech's IT and IS departments who thankfully accepted their being redirected to the official VA Tech news, donations, and outreach efforts.

When I first contacted them, they initially turned the offer down...thinking it was again one of hundreds of unsolicited offers to sell the name to the University.

Domainers can do some good for the community even if others are into it for personal gain.

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not only with new registration. I own a couple of "Boston" domains and received quite a bit of emails asking for the price in the past couple of days. I need to know who they are before I even bother to reply emails.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not only with new registration. I own a couple of "Boston" domains and received quite a bit of emails asking for the price in the past couple of days. I need to know who they are before I even bother to reply emails.

If they're just Boston generics, why not let them go if a solid offer?

I think this is more for xshooting, xearthquake, stormname, xbombing, etc. domains. However, at this time a bostoninjuryattorney etc. may not be the best to sell off.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And my answer would be if I registered 1000 citybombing.com domains and handed them over, would the agency continue to renew them? I don't think so, they have a better cause to use yearly regfees than the "hopes" one happens and they get donations.
True. For the same reasons, I once saved amnestyinternational.net from a prerelease drop, and it's been a redirect to the official website ever since. The motive was to protect the domain so it wouldn't be squatted upon. I certainly could do without that domain yet it seemed like the right thing to do at the time.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
True. For the same reasons, I once saved amnestyinternational.net from a prerelease drop, and it's been a redirect to the official website ever since. The motive was to protect the domain so it wouldn't be squatted upon. I certainly could do without that domain yet it seemed like the right thing to do at the time.

I doubt that you could talk to the right person in charge of internet affairs anyway, let alone convince them why having the. net is necessary, even if you handed it to them on a silver platter. It would most likely be dropped and end up in the wrong hands.

I spoke with 5 different people when attempting to donate to the Semper Fi Fund and if I truly didn't think my time was worth it, I would have given up. Though since one of my sites is dedicated to a fallen hero, I only felt it was worth the 10+ man hours to do.

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can't hear myself through all the self back patting going on in here. No matter your supposed motives, it is slimy. Notorious Notoriety.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can't hear myself through all the self back patting going on in here. No matter your supposed motives, it is slimy. Notorious Notoriety.

I would have to disagree with you on that one. I've lived in Okinawa for 7 years. It's not like living in a small neighborhood where nobody knows your name. It's everyone is family, everyone would go out of their way to help you. So why shouldn't I pay due respect, gather obituaries and pictures for them to forever be remembered? If you don't believe me about the culture here being like that, take a flight and act like you can't pay $5 for your lunch and drink. Anyone in line would jump at the opportunity to help you. Would I do it for the glory? No. Would I do it for the 10 minutes of fame? No. I believe everyone should be respected and remembered, no matter how painful it is (and death is treated much differently here).

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Some people do it once and realize it wasn't right.
Others do it repeatedly, because they succeeded the first time (regardless of motive.)
Others stay away from it completely, because no amount of traffic is worth the bad karma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom