Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

The Rise (and Fall?) of Domain Conferences - Can They Survive Oversaturation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A new cover story is out at DNJournal.com. The 2010 conference schedule began with 3 shows in 23 days - an average of one every 8 days! Can the industry continue to support the number of shows that are now being held? We provide a detailed history of the domain conference business and look at its future prospects in an increasingly crowded field:
http://www.dnjournal.com/cover/2010/february.htm

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
just like the market has been flooded with parking companies since the explosion of domain biz around 2006/2007... same has been happening past few years with conferences

the originals will always thrive while newcomers will have their few days in the spotlight and then quietly disappear

on and on...

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the originals will always thrive while newcomers will have their few days in the spotlight and then quietly disappear

on and on...

Not necessarily. The better ones, meaning the ones who bring innovation, quality service, and the best product to the market will be the ones to survive & prosper, assuming they are managed properly, just as in any other business.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
just like the market has been flooded with parking companies since the explosion of domain biz around 2006/2007... same has been happening past few years with conferences

on and on...

true

while some have come and gone

a few took a nice chunk of change with them

it will be interesting to see how long these events can sustain themselves

the pressure is being put on domainers to lower prices, set prices or set minimums

with the goal to stimulate activity in a given marketplace or venue

those venues with the lowest cost for listing, and highest volume of sales, will be the survivors

those that fade away, may leave with a nice chunk of change too

it's Showtime!!

show me what you got :)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The problem with domain conferences, they cater to a tiny and cozy (?) community of domainers so the audience is limited, and I have the feeling that a good chunk (domainers) will be leaving the game soon :yes:

broe-foe

Account Terminated
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Oversaturation of the same old faces glad-handing each other? Oversaturation of the shill-bidding auction fraudsters and sleazy hucksters? Oversaturation of glorified typo-squatters who made lots of cash off of the trademarks of others?

It's the oversaturation of BS before, during, and after each domainer convention that will sink this hackneyed portrayal of the industry.

snicksnack

DomainersChoice.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
domainfest came late to the conference business and by now they have the biggest crowd attending. I like what Rick is trying to do and have more local conferences (in different countries), but I have my doubts if this will pay off in the end. There are too many conferences and people get tiered of them or it doesn't really pay off for them to go. I assume that in 2011 the number of conferences will drop.

GeoOwners

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think there are enough domain millionaires to sustain the conferences we have now.

Niches will pop up though like the cruise and we will probably see local shows soon. I can easily see the major cities having shows that attract 100-150 people.

snicksnack

DomainersChoice.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
so you are predicting more shows ?

Let's see, I believe the number will go down.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
schwartz had a good thing goin for 5 - 6 years'

but latona's 6 shows in one year is really overkill.... 5 is overkill.... even 4 is overkill too considering the circumstances in 2010....

but we'll see how it goes :)

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For me, there are way too many conferences, I pick 2 or 3 a year to go to, 12-15 is overkill especially when it's all the same people over and over again.

-=DCG=-

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We need a good one in Canada...I got notice of the one in 2009 (Domain Convergence) about a week before the conference started.

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For me, there are way too many conferences, I pick 2 or 3 a year to go to, 12-15 is overkill especially when it's all the same people over and over again.

-=DCG=-

so Adam you don't want to be part of the "family" ?:p

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
so Adam you don't want to be part of the "family" ?:p

Not if the family meets 15 time a year, that's more than I get together with my extended family. ;)

Vegas, New York and Florida for me.

-=DCG=-

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is one in Vancouver in June, I will be at that one.

-=DCG=-

I never heard of this. PM me any details you may have Adam.

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I'll see you there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom