Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

The Wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GIRL18

Hi people!

I do not want to reinvent the wheel. I want to register some domains. So, I have lot of them in my mind.

Can you help me with a few advices in order not to lose my money?

How to choose the best domains?

I saw you are talking about Overture and Google AdWords. Please tell me how to use these tools. What are they useful for?

Thank you!

GIRL18

I would suggest only registering names that you have a definate plan to use.

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Wheels within Wheels Bandarbath - old SF reference, Sorry forgot the author. :(

Know 1st that less than %5 domains registered for sale get sold, maybe less. Go after domains you can develop your self, or know people who desever them.

Do not be over exited by Google listeing, or Yahoo - and take the time to learn as much as you can first.

Who-Wiz

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Choose the best domains by reading a lot about what's out there in the world... put your finger on the pulse of the globe and form an understanding of the global zeitgeist.

Check this out:
http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist.html

Google Zeitgeist is a nice overview of the search trends Google monitors on its system. You can get a feeling for what's happening. When world events hit, check this out and see how people react. Even general news items like the death of public figures, wars, or popular films can give you ideas. Be sure to visit the Google Zeitgeist archive too.

The world is more often than not TOO BROAD to really determine the marketability of domains that are GOOD, though not *astronomically* great. For that, look through your local newspapers, and try to spot common terms or subjects that aren't trademarks and might be available.

Don't get crazy. Before buying any domain, don't ask yourself "Can I see this as a Website". Honestly, there have been so many silly/strange websites, we can probably envision anything as a website and not bat an eye. Better to ask "Can I see others reacting favorably to this name and the idea that makes it bankable."

Simple popularity isn't good enough these days, having some notion of how a website can convert its apeal into money will help separate good domain names from DUDS.

One nice exercise is to use an Expired Names search tool, and pitch the "word" part of the domain into Google and see what pops up. Are there lots of links to this topic? Are people wild about it? Is their large amounts of commercial activity around this type of topic?

These are general rules to apply to domains of any topical persuasion. You may want to buy Lee Hodgson's book "The Insider's Guide to Domain Name Speculation". I'm sure it will be your BEST resource for learning from those that have come before you.

Best regards,
W|Z

Snoopy's advice is correct. Whatever you do, DO NOT just register cutsy, made-up names hoping to sell them. THEY DO NOT SELL.

Who-Wiz

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by nameinvestor
Snoopy's advice is correct. Whatever you do, DO NOT just register cutsy, made-up names hoping to sell them. THEY DO NOT SELL.
Heh, yeah... if you think a word like "Register" and "Simplicity" blend nicely into "Regiplicity.com" and... well, what do ya know, its available! --Just... move... your hand away from the mouse... and shutdown your computer for at least a day. The feeling should pass with the dawn. If not, seek help. :)

W|Z

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Take the advice from Who-Wiz.

Don't you just hate registering that great name, and then looking at it 3 days later and thinking to yourself "My god, why on earth did I register this!".

RMF

G

GIRL18

Hi BOYS!

Thank you! Your advices are very good.

Can you tell me, please, how to check for trademark infringement? I I want to register a 2 words domain that has 1 letter different from a trademark. Is that ok? Anyway my domain means somthing else then that trademark.

Please tell me more about best searched words in all search engines. Do you have a list or a link to a list of most valuable domains? Not nenessary sold. Just an appraisal of best domains. Ex:
1. sex.com -10.000.000
2.car.com-5.000.000

...etc. If you do not know such a top, please tell me how looks the top in your opinion?

Thanks.

G

GIRL18

Hi!

Does anyone wants to give me this book : "The Insider's Guide to Domain Name Speculation"?

Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom