Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Things I really should know but dont.... (help!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was going to put this in the newbie section....but I am certainly not a newbie.....I do have 2 questions for you guys though:

1) What is WLS....I've heard all this talk about it....I know it has to do with drops....could someone give me a 50 word description?

2) Generic domain names....I thought that meant a name that was very descriptive about a large market (i.e. shoes.com), but on ebay...there are names like LebronJamesRookie23.com - with their owners writing about how 'generic' the names are....so what really are generic names....thanks!

Daniel

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
1) WLS is Verisign's attempt to recapture a monopoly on the domain name "aftermarket". Essentially, they are proposing to centralize the process of selling dropping domains on a "first-come first-serve" basis, with a very healthy profit to themselves for managing it. The only dropping domains that would not be affected would be the ones nobody cares about anyway.

2) Your first instinct was correct. Ebayers who call names like that generic are on drugs and/or they are fishing for suckers.

P.S. Congratulations! You are the lucky recipient of my 1000'th post!

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yay, I am so honoured.... :)

congradulations! and thanks for the help....

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by sponk
re: frontrow

so it's like snapnames that there's only one slot per domain and the price is fixed, but that the buyer is 100% sure he will get the domain?

Yes, exactly

also then, would services like exody be of any use then?

Drop list services would still be useful in telling you when a name would drop, but I believe it remains to be seen whether they would be able to weed out domains with a WLS claim on them. I imagine that would happen at some point.

The point though is that with only one shot, it seems likely that "snaps" would happen earlier and earlier so the one who works harder at doing their research could still come out ahead.

Of course, if the owner renews, the investment is no longer a sure thing and the money is lost. So people will have to find the balance between "too early" and "too late"

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is WLS transgferable to differnet owners?

and are there exchanges like @ snapnames?

Dam vs they are such $ hounds :(

I wonder if thier 27 billion $ investment will or ever will pay off.

COnsidering the monopoly (imo) they run, $27Billion isnt that much if you are able to control a whole industry.

An industry that has alot of $ flowing trhough it.

JMHO

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by devildude8989
Is WLS transgferable to differnet owners?

and are there exchanges like @ snapnames?

Can anyone answer these?

Dam vs they are such $ hounds :(

yes they are. I really wish (if this is going to happen) that someone else could run it.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have another question:

If oyu have a snap on a name, then WLS rolls around, you automaticly get the reserve on the WLS right?

Cuz I have been snapping nice names that dont expire for like 6-10 months based ont this theory.

I believe BD has been doping this too.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you have a snap on a name, then WLS rolls around, you automaticly get the reserve on the WLS right?

Wrong. That is one of many details that have not ben determines. SnapNames has said they would like to see that happen but they don't know if they will be able to do it.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
oic,

Thanks alot Duke!

Glad I know this info now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom