Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

This is CRAZY - Hurricane Sandy Updates From Baltimore City Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

First off, is anyone on here from the East coast? Particularly Maryland, NJ, Del, or NY? I'd like your input on this as well.

As most of you know, Hurricane Sandy is due to cause some major problems for us on the East Coast. I live in Baltimore City, Maryland.

A few things I actually want to point out. I was speaking to some people today, guys, and girls that live throughout Maryland. 5 of them received a recorded telephone call today stating that the particular area they are in "has been deemed unsafe and that they should plan to evacuate at the earliest convenience." Obviously not word for word, but that was the basic gist of each message. They ARE saying the storm is nothing like they have seen before. They are relating it to "The perfect storm" (Which caused $200 million in damage) and are saying that it will be bigger, and will cause more damage and casualties(they are expecting $1B or more in damage.)

For those that don't know. What we are dealing with is Hurricane Sandy coming from the South East, headed North and North West, and going directly into either Maryland, or NJ. They are anticipating hurricane strength at time of impact. They have noted this to be the 2nd largest tropical storm in history. THIS is not the only problem. There is a cold front coming from the west, moving east. As Hurricane Sandy is moving over maryland, so will the cold front. These two systems crossing paths is what they are saying to be the major issue. No officials have ordered anyone out of Maryland, except in coastal areas as of yet... So I am wondering why these phone calls? and if anyone else can share anything similar?

Every store (at least all around my area) is completely out of: Gas cans, flashlights, batteries, tarps, generators, water, sandbags, and near the end of today.... Even plastic sheeting.

I've heard several people tell me that this is going to be the worst storm that we have EVER seen. and to brace for something major. Home depot was crazy yesterday. People were literally FIGHTING over batteries and flashlights. (they) got 12 generators in yesterday, and they were all sold in under 3 minutes. Each at $699.

Tomorrow is suppose to be the big day. The rain will start, and so will the high winds of what they are saying will be 70+ mph in Baltimore City. It has been lightly raining all day, but I am starting to hear it pick up. The major part of this is expected to start anytime between noon, and 5:00PM and will last until Thursday.

I know this was a mixed bag of thoughts and expressions... But I would like to hear others thoughts on this. Anyone else in Maryland or the east coast.... Stay safe. and I also ask that everyone else, please keep us in your thoughts that no one is hurt, and that it does not cause as much damage as they are anticipating.

Last edited:

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here in Delaware, I went shopping on Saturday and Sunday and was surprised the stores weren't more crowded. I picked up sandbags, batteries, tarps, etc., at several stores, without having to wait long in line.

Not looking forward to today's predicted intense rain & powerful winds. Likely going to have a wet basement, but if that's the worst that happens, we've survived that before .... Good luck to all of us in Sandy's path!

(Saw a bad omen yesterday: a guy at the local psychic shop was boarding up windows.)

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

vinsdomains.com

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here in Narragansett, RI, one block from a mandatory evacuation zone and a block away from where many news stations are set-up. Already pretty wild here and we haven't even started yet. Fully prepared and ready. Looking forward to some candlelight cribbage with a nice Hurricane Drink!

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm in south Florida and we're still getting coastal flooding from the storm - A1A in Fort Lauderdale has been shut down in many places since Thursday due to flooding and sand on the road.

We're still getting winds from her but it's now like a cool breeze (yay, it's cooler out!). I'd recommend preparing for this - water, canned goods, non-perishables, gas for the barbeqeue / grill, etc.. but don't go crazy. Also, don't bother taping up your windows, it does NOT help and all it does is make another mess for you to clean up after.

Clear out anything loose outside that can become a projectile, secure other things, and clear out any loose brush.

I hope everyone gets though this OK.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IMO the largest threats to people will be the winds near the path of the center of the storm and then flooding - 12-24 hours after for low lying areas and along rivers etc.. up to 5 days later (as the rainwater works its way down hills, mountains, and into streams and rivers). Just look at what Floyd did to New Jersey about 12 years ago in Bound Brook.

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Awesome everyone. Thank you so much! Keep it coming.

9 states are now under state of emergency.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here in NC. Been through many. Wicked cold and windy here at the moment as the storm tail end is here and cold front moving in. Already snowing in Boone.

Parts of West Virginia can expect 50 (yes, five zero) inches of snow.

My in-laws have a summer home on Flat Top mountain (home of Winterplace Ski Resort). We called yesterday and offered to bring them my generator. They said they hope to be gone by Tuesday. In the event they weren't they have propane heat.

This storm is heading to one of the most populous parts of the country. I have a good friend and his wife went to NYC about a week and a half ago for some R and R. He called last night and said its crazy there right now and they can not get any where. Said he was going to look at flights leaving to anywhere in the country before the airports are shut down. He does not relish the idea of being in Manhattan when services are cut.

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Largest hurricane in recorded history north of nc. Expected 30 ft seas in nj shores!

Wind is picking up about 50 mph winds in Baltimore md.

Find A Date

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I live near Harrisburg, PA, not far from the Three Mile Island nuclear generating plant.

Pretty much prepared, with a little water coming into the basement and around a window that has never leaked before.

We still have items in the basement off the ground as much as possible from when Irene passed through.

Good luck to all affected, be safe.

Robert

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Connecticut already has 50+ mph winds and are expecting up to 80.

Last year NC got destroyed by a bunch of tornadoes but I was in Afghanistan. Now Connecticut gets hit but I'm in Colorado. I miss all the cool stuff :veryangry:

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wind has really picked up a lot here in Baltimore. around 60 mph gusts, and 40+ sustained. I passed a few bad accidents coming home from work. There are a lot of trees down. Lots of flooding. They are saying that "this isnt even the start of it!"

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is coming to our area. A lot of flooding and down trees. People parked cars around my house because of flooding nearby by creek.
The wind speed is around 40-50mph now. It will last a while at least tonight through tomorrow.

Lot of water. I mean a lot of water.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just spoke to father in law. Anything above 1600 feet in WV is expecting up to 3 feet of snow - they're at 3200. Says there is plenty of snow on the ground already but blowing too hard to even think about measuring it.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Largest hurricane in recorded history north of nc. Expected 30 ft seas in nj shores!

Wind is picking up about 50 mph winds in Baltimore md.
Yup.

It is not unusual for NC to get these late in the year as they typically stall off the coast. And, if not stalled, they usually head out to sea to become a "fish storm" but this one is the exception.

I also find it very ironic (and sad) that the tall ship HMS Bounty went down off the coast of NC this morning where so many have historically gone down. 14 of 16 crew rescued, one just recently found alive in water but unresponsive and the ship's captain is still missing. So sorry for the seemingly loss of life. Ship left CT to try to sail around the storm, heading to FL. Unfortunately, they crossed paths.

Got to hand it to the weather centers of today. Early last week there was concern from computer models that this storm was going to make a beeline to the north and then take a turn to the left. Totally unreal how this thing made that hook turn to the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom