Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

This Thread Might Never Get A REPLY !

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneguy

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi guys / gals ... whatever ...

Just thinking to myself - we are all gathered together on this forum simply to learn, see, buy, sell all about domains ...

Now, I know that this is probably a resource that no ones wants to diviugle but I'm willing to give it a try ...

By buying up nice domains - where do you sell all these ?

I mean, we all agree we need to hit the main market .. and not sell amongst ourselves .. there is simply no margin to be made here ! .. Some domains are going below cost !

From what I gather so far ... I have only the following ...

afternic.com a.k.a namebuysell.com
registryfly's after market services
greatdomains.com

what else do you use ?

Care to share ?

Ps - Now you understand the why the subject header is as such ?Peace !!!!

DeCal

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ebay seems to be the place alot of people sell domains on.

Would you be interested in selling any domains for DN$?

draqon

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
the majority of the people here who make "big bucks" selling domains have a) a large number of domains, and b) domains of very high quality. If you have this combination, buyers will come to you. Afternic, greatdomains, etc, are unnecessary.

oneguy

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
To the 2 people whom bothered to type a reply. Thank you. Thank you for sharing your valuable information / tips.

Hi Dean -> Thanks for the information on EBay but the place looks too saturated for me. As for selling domains for DN$ ? ... I'm not too sure ... ain't very keen on the DN$ ...

Hi Dragon -> I kinda agree with what you have said. If you have a GREAT domain - just sit back and offers will flock to you. As for me, I'm looking to make some profits ... not big bucks ... just some $$ would do.

Guys, you are the experts here ... I'm not here to bag that the next REGISTER.COM and sell it for a 5 or 6 figure sum ... I'm here to learn a little more about this rather unique trade ... and maybe throughout all the exploration and the learning, be able to learn the following :-

- how to spot an "average", "good" & "excellent" domain
- how to make some money in this trade i.e registeration for a domain cost about $8 .. but if is a relatively good domain .. selling it for $100 ,doesn't seem far fetch ...

These are the deals I'm looking for ... $8 ... and a quick turnaround for $100 ... not too bad hugh ?

So, does anyone else care enough to enlighten this newbie ..
I'm now into expired Yahoo/Dmoz domains but I'm not sure if its all going to be worth it ...

Comments ?

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sedo guys are fine, but it takes ages to get a reply from them.

GreatDomains is out, dont even bother with them.

I think the idea someone else posted here before, about having all your names go to a page with your own domain marketplace works best.

oneguy

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sedo looking kinda great .. but do these gain mass market appeal and traffic ?

I mean, there's not much use if we were to sell the domains for fellow spectulators right ? They will just drive the price down low.

We need to gain more mass market appeal i.e the above average web hoster who would not mind paying a small premium i.e $200 - $300 for a domain that he truly likes ..

Comments ?

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by oneguy
These are the deals I'm looking for ... $8 ... and a quick turnaround for $100

The problem is that with 99% of all domains there is no such thing as "quick turnaround". A buyer has to come along who has a specific use for your name. You are lucky if that happens before your name expires and you have to pay another renewal fee. Dragon is correct about quantity and quality. I would add patience as well.

On the surface it looks like an easy way to make money. In reality it is a very tough business with a lot of savvy competitors who rarely miss a trick. The learning curve is much steeper than anyone would ever suspect. The vast majority lose money at it and soon give up. To succeed you need to have capital you can do without for awhile and take a longterm view of the business. Good luck.

oneguy

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Quick Turnaround" -> Yeah, probably the wrong term to use ...

But what I'm looking for is essentially to make more sales rather than waiting out for that 1 GIANT kill.

"On the surface it looks like an easy way to make money. In reality it is a very tough business with a lot of savvy competitors who rarely miss a trick."

Oh yeah .. tell me about it. I thought it seems to be too easy to be true. Just make up some interesting names, check if they have been registered and if they not, whoa, you encounter a "gem" - push out your credit card and start frantically keying all the number and there you have it - the domain is yours !

So, what's missing from all this..... Where and Whom do you sell this "gem" to ? That's the million dollar question.

I slowly progressed out of the "think" and "make" your own domains ... to picking up after people - looking at deleted domain listings and seeing if anything catches my eye.

Then I learnt ... Geez, there something called SnapBack - and its faster that what I'm doing - looking thru thousands of domains for that special "gem"

Nowadays, its back to the list again. This time, expired domains still listed on Yahoo and Dmoz ... been quite a while now .. and only made 1 sale ... so that's is looking stale as well.

So, just where do I go from here ? Quit this domain game altogether ? ... Lately I've been thinking ... <Yes, I do think, once in a while> : P

Maybe all this while, I have been "playing" in the wrong market. The US Domain buying / reselling market is so saturated - maybe I should go back and concentrate a little more on my own turf ... the domain name industry in Singapore ...

But registering .Com.Sg domains cost S$60 a reg or approximately US$34.28 - hell ... its going to be a killer !

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's the funny side of domain extension in ccTLD, they sell it in outrageous fee. This is the reason domain names business is not doing well in ccTLD (though not all).

In domain market, you have to establish your own web presence. Do what we preach, get your own webidentity as we always mention this to our prospective buyers so they can buy domains to us.

This business is long term process, especially if you're doing retail registration only. Where you are dependent on registration and renewal revenue which really low income though will provide value over time.

As I have said, this is a continous process e.g. marketing your business, making them famous to your local community, friends, business associates, collegue, etc. that will bring customer to you.

Domain reselling is a great return of investment as long as you have a good domain porfolio and long list of domains. Get the domain names you know will get value in the next week or months or years. A good example, new game to release though you have to be aware of intellectual property rights. Along the way you will learn all these informations and matured in domain business, where you can predict and make productive decisions.

This is just like attending schools ... everyday you learn something new that you will be able to use day after day.

You may also visit www.needguide.com, I have some folks writing articles in web insights. You are also invited to write an article that you might consider useful.

Cheers to you,
tw

oneguy

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
this is a old thread but I guess it will always be relevant. essentially, I have tried SEDO and I'm "okay" with the results. I am not a big domain buyer - I purchase domains that are resellable - if there is such a term - for my local market. I'm a little tried of doing the domain reseller game and would perhaps move on .. but nevertheless, domain reselling would still remain an interest, so if you guys have any to add to this list, please feel free..

oneguy

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Whoa, I am pleased to know that this thread gets a new life once in a while. I still have this thread subscribed and to think that I started this in Jan 2003. More than a year has past and I must admit that I am still the same. I have not progressed.

Why? Essentially because I spent the year chasing my other dreams - getting into Linux and getting myself certified (RHCE). In any case, as you guys may have gotten wind in my other threads, I am looking for a mentor to guide me along ... I wanna make this work ... and I'm sure I will ... so wish me luck and perhaps, sometime later, I might addon to this thread ... my personal experiences.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In the abscence of a private mentor, this forum and the others will be great mentors.

Experience is another great mentor as far as domains are concerned.

I agree with a lot of what has been said above.

I however don't have any real web presence for marketing my domain names, except for the PPC landing pages which earn me money while I patiently wait for buyers to come along.

My type of names are ok for this type of strategy, but if you are making up names, you will probably need to go out and make sales through contacting potential buyers, or finding sites which list names and which will be visited by the type of people who might be interested in your names.

I think what Duke says is really important for newcomers to take on board:

"On the surface it looks like an easy way to make money. In reality it is a very tough business with a lot of savvy competitors who rarely miss a trick. The learning curve is much steeper than anyone would ever suspect. The vast majority lose money at it and soon give up."

If it's something you can devote a lot of time and a certain amount of money to, you can make it work. But few people will enter this business and start making quick profits. I Finally covered most of my costs after about 3 years of investing time and money.

skylight

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yes. if it is a little more easy, many of those flood in would be already rich by reselling.

domain biz takes a long time. up till now, i only cover half of my costs.

learn through participate forums. listen to others experience.

FMS

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Our best sales come from people contacting us through the WhoIs
(remember to note "domain for sale" in the whois info)
Developing your site really works wonders too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom