Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Thoughts on portfolio evaluations and hiring consultants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixel42

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've decided to get my portfolio reviewed before I buy any more names. I have a little over 115 domains, and have sent emails to a few domain consultants that were listed on a blog (I won't say which one, but it's one of the most reputable ones).

Have you ever worked with a consultant, and did you find it helpful?

Also, is there any reason to be concerned about showing my domains to a complete stranger? I have no delusions of grandeur and know that my names aren't category killers - but at least a few of them probably have resale value. I know if I'm paying upwards of $200/hr for someone's time, they probably have much bigger fish to fry and are not interested in my names, but you never know. I'm new to this, so I want to know if I should be taking any precautions.

If anyone's ever hired an outsider to help with their portfolio, I'd love to hear how it worked for you.

Credit

Buying CC.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you have quality domains, you can pm me and I'll help ya out.

pixel42

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you would call "quality." It's a pretty eclectic list. I'm mostly looking for advice from people who have hired people in this capacity before, so I know of any pitfalls to watch out for.

Credit

Buying CC.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
PM me a sample of what you believe to be the better domains in your portfolio and I'll forward you some advice.

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I doubt that any consultant would be more capable of evaluating your portfolio than those members of this forum who have already offered to help you

pixel42

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I doubt that any consultant would be more capable of evaluating your portfolio than those members of this forum who have already offered to help you

I don't doubt the expertise of the people here, and I do appreciate the replies. One person already advised me about a few legal domains several weeks ago, which was very helpful. I just wondered if hiring outside consultants is something that people actually do.

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't doubt the expertise of the people here, and I do appreciate the replies. One person already advised me about a few legal domains several weeks ago, which was very helpful. I just wondered if hiring outside consultants is something that people actually do.
Elliot seemed to think it was a good idea. I have never heard of anyone actually doing it.
http://www.elliotsblog.com/hire-a-domain-consultant-7261
I think Elliot is talking about people who want to spend a lot of money, or portfolio holders who already know that their portfolio is worth very big money

pixel42

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Elliot seemed to think it was a good idea. I have never heard of anyone actually doing it.
http://www.elliotsblog.com/hire-a-domain-consultant-7261
I think Elliot is talking about people who want to spend a lot of money, or portfolio holders who already know that their portfolio is worth very big money

Yeah, that's what I figured. It makes sense for someone who has thousands of domains that are worth a lot of money. That's the article I was referencing - most of the people I contacted today were on that list. I trust E's recommendations, so no worries there.

D

Deleted member 70408

Pretty much, but I think if someone new to the industry was going to devote a few thousand dollars (or more) it might be beneficial to them to flatten the learning curve and save money. I see a lot of people coming into the industry spending a lot of money off the bat, only to find that the names they've acquired aren't worth much to others and are difficult to sell. A little expert guidance can go a long way.

BTW, I mentioned in my post that I am no longer seeking consulting clients, and those consultants mentioned did not pay for the mention or compensate me in any way.

Credit

Buying CC.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Quick tip: If the majority of your portfolio consists of domains registered post 2002, do not hire anyone.

pixel42

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
BTW, I mentioned in my post that I am no longer seeking consulting clients, and those consultants mentioned did not pay for the mention or compensate me in any way.

I know, which is why I went straight to the people on your list. I talked to Rob S. today, who was very helpful.

I definitely wouldn't do it if it meant spending thousands. My names aren't worth that. Many of those consultants start at $250/hr, which is all I'd need for a quick portfolio review. That said, I'm definitely going to try to do as much as I can on my own and with the people who have kindly offered to help before taking that route. Thanks for the replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom