Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Ticketed TN Man buys Local PD Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

myst woman

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They don’t mess around with domains lightly in Bluff City, Tennessee. Brian McCrary of Tennessee got a $90 ticket for speeding and when he went to the police website and saw the pending renewal notice, he floored his credit card and nabbed the domain when it dropped. The new site, online now at BluffCitypd.com, details speed trap camera information in that locale.

Talk about a speed trap on the information superhighway! McCrary got the perfect revenge. Suspecting he had been the victim of a speed trap, he initially approached the police website to complain. McCrary works for an ISP and ramped to Godaddy for a $80 pickup of the renewal status drop.

The story is attracting both domainer amusement and cynicism from Bluff City residents. Word is that until reporters started asking questions the police department didn’t even know their domain had expired. The uniques McCrary is now pulling in may top 90K. Police allege the site is merely revenge for the ticket and that aggressive ticketing has cut down on motor vehicle accidents.

Evidently the Godaddy domain expiration notification emails went to the account that had been allegedly hacked and closed or shut off. This story is a lesson to all sloppy webmasters who ignore their domaining responsibilities. In the year 2010, with the internet part of the everyday life of citizens worldwide, having a tech guy “out sick” is no excuse.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a county name where my wife gor screwed over by a county sheriff officer's (admitted) mistake. Maybe I should do the same? :)

But my question is - did he deserve the ticket in the first place?

myst woman

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I guess so. I am thinking it was an evil wind that blows nobody good.
But I have worked huge brand places and gotten the renewal email and thought to myself, he he he he, what iff...

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All they need to do is file a wipo and get it back how hard is that? :confused:

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah...I would have posted lots of....what....doughnuts...

Megabet

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wow, thats like 20 min from where I live...

Sterling

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow, thats like 20 min from where I live...

Lawrence County here! Never knew!

Anyway, I think this is f'ing great!

Props to dude.

If I had the chance, I would have done the same thing!

I have been at this for 13 years and unlike other webmasters, I have focused on my community by purchasing certain domain names over the years. My focus has never been a million dollar domain. It has been taking care of my community by getting localized domains and not having them registered by other communities by the same name. Now, because of me, local radio stations, local realty companies, local merchants etc. have a opp. to buy names realted to thier bussiness on very reasonable terms.

It's not so much money but partnerships.

affordableweb

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was arrested in my own home for defending myself from an intruder by the Fort laderdale Police because they said I took the fight outside when I pushed the attacker out the door. They said once we hit the yard I should have quit fighting and I should have called the cops. I bought FortLauderdalePolice.com and posted pictures of slaughtered pigs. They bought the domain from me and dropped the charges. now enom owns the domain and its a parked page.

Credit

Buying CC.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was arrested in my own home for defending myself from an intruder by the Fort laderdale Police because they said I took the fight outside when I pushed the attacker out the door. They said once we hit the yard I should have quit fighting and I should have called the cops. I bought FortLauderdalePolice.com and posted pictures of slaughtered pigs. They bought the domain from me and dropped the charges. now enom owns the domain and its a parked page.

Clever.

adonivideo

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

Freedom of Speech RULES

Now I know a dude the feds were messing with, so he got F***Barack.com and F***BarackObama.com

LOL

You almost as bad as him

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom