Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Tigga's rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigga

DNF Regular
Reaction score
Hey, I am sick of people who are selling revenue generating websites being questioned as to why they are selling e.g. http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40031. I have seen it happen a few times - this is not the only time, so I want to clarify -

It is a legitimate strategy to build a business and then sell it for X times earnings - that is some peoples core business model. They build a business up, get a lump sum and then use that to launch an even bigger business where there skills make a higher return. Or they use the money to buy a house etc.

Anyway, unless you are a legitimate buyer, mind your own business.

Thanks for listening :)

*walks off with soapbox under arm*

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Uhhh.... you don't know why you would be asked for FULL DISCLOSURE in a business deal? Have you ever taken a class in business law? Are you aware of the legal requirements of a binding contract? You create a legal minefield without disclosure, and depending on what the problem is, YOU could be held liabable for a failed transaction, including all legal costs, court fees, and damages.

Try selling real estate without disclosing a mold problem, or that a freeway is going to be built in the back yard. 'The buyer didnt ask' will put you on the losing side of a very large lawsuit.

Not asking is very, very dumb. In fact, in large business transactions, 3rd parties are usually hired for 'due diligence', to verify the sellers claims.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I also agree.

I am constantly buying well developed sites will continue to do so.

If someone is not interested in buying a mentioned site they shouldn't crap in someone else's thread.

-=DCG=-

tigga

DNF Regular
Reaction score
Originally posted by JuniperPark
Uhhh.... you don't know why you would be asked for FULL DISCLOSURE in a business deal? Have you ever taken a class in business law? Are you aware of the legal requirements of a binding contract? You create a legal minefield without disclosure, and depending on what the problem is, YOU could be held liabable for a failed transaction, including all legal costs, court fees, and damages.

Try selling real estate without disclosing a mold problem, or that a freeway is going to be built in the back yard. 'The buyer didnt ask' will put you on the losing side of a very large lawsuit.

Not asking is very, very dumb. In fact, in large business transactions, 3rd parties are usually hired for 'due diligence', to verify the sellers claims.

This thread has nothing to do with a legitimate buyer asking legitimate and essential questions. DCG clarifies.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by tigga

This thread has nothing to do with a legitimate buyer asking legitimate and essential questions. DCG clarifies.

Yes, it does:

"Hey, I am sick of people who are selling revenue generating websites being questioned as to why they are selling"

tigga

DNF Regular
Reaction score
Well, apologies for not communicating clearly. Of course legitimate buyers need to ask those questions, but e.g. a post telling the seller they are nuts to sell - that they should hold a site for the revenue I think is inappropriate. Again, apologies for lack of clarity.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's a balance I guess. I looked at the thread linked to, and the question didn't say more than "It doesn't add up". I'm wondering how far you can go with limiting people's public questions. Generally, I ask potentially off-putting questions via PM. Maybe that is a better route for questions that aren't JUST about clarifying (those dealing with "justification").

Tigga, I think what you're getting at is the (possibly commendable, though misguided) feeling that some people want to "protect the community" by possibly "outing" someone attempting to perpetrate fraud. Sometimes fraud IS happening in a post, and a smart well-rounded business person may want to make a sereptitious note about it in the public before someone makes an accidental mistake.

Here's a thought... I run a creative website called Figma.com. I have a Help-Wanted section, and feature a NOTICE directly above the posts in the forum:
http://forums.figma.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=4

It gives a quick blurb of pointers. Maybe something like this can be done for each of the sales threads, that maybe links to a STICKY that in effect says "buyer beware", and gives some general tips about ettitquete as well as tips on how to how to watch for yourself.

I don't think its TOO much hand-holding and may help curb the well-intentioned cowboy mentallity.

~ Nexus

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom