Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Time between Domain Delete and Backorder Status Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

12bravo

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

Relatively new user to Pool, and I have a question regarding the time lag between the stated delete time (in my case 4/18), and a change in status / auction start. I have a handful of names that I backordered on the 18th in advance of the cut-off, and none of them have changed status. They are bolded which indicates they are pending delete within 5 days, but when I do a whois on one, it indicates it was freshly registered on 4/18 by 1 HOST AMERICA, INC. through 4/18/2009.

Is there an element to this I am missing, or is there simply a lag in Pool's reporting of status changes for backorders?

My apologies if I am missing something obvious, but I haven't been around the block with the backorder game yet, and I would love to gain some perspective on the process from the community.

Any information would be appreciated.

-Brian

Domain Days 2024

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
1 HOST AMERICA = Snapnames

lostcoin

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Basically, domain names which don't change their status like that are names that Pool was not successful in catching. Therefore, in your case, denny007 has pointed out that Snapnames was the successful catcher rather than Pool.

I agree it is a little weird how they sit there like that after things have already been settled. Basically, if for some reason they go up on the TBR list again, your order will still be in Pool's database for backordering the name...but securing it anytime soon would be an unlikely event since a registrar not affiliated with Pool has acquired the name you were wanting.

Last edited:

Pool.com

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You might wonder why we don't change the status on the backorder you place at Pool when we are not successful at acquiring it in the drop.... there are two good reasons. First, if the domain is subsequently deleted during the add/grace period, it will not show up on a "delete" list but it will become imediately available. Second, we asusme that by placing a backorder you are interested in getting the domain "whenever" it becomes available. In both cases, we use the status of your backorder to try and catch it whenever it does in fact become available.

If you don't want us to try and get it after the drop is finished, simply delete it from your backorder queue.

lostcoin

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's actually not a bad feature. It also is what allows you to backorder any name out there, whether it's deleting or not. So, if there are names you think *might* be deleting in the future and only check the lists once in awhile, you can backorder them at any time, and if they do then you'll be notified and included in the auction (if more than one request).

Of course, you could do the same thing with Godaddy and a few others, but then you would have to pay upfront for a domain that may never make it to a TBR.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's actually not a bad feature.
Well it depends what you catching. Say you backordered some typo and it has been caught, tasted and spit out 9sometime even twice), so that means the backorder was a mistake, YET Pool will catch it for you for $60 (wasted). Snapnames does not do that.

12bravo

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You might wonder why we don't change the status on the backorder you place at Pool when we are not successful at acquiring it in the drop.... there are two good reasons. First, if the domain is subsequently deleted during the add/grace period, it will not show up on a "delete" list but it will become imediately available. Second, we asusme that by placing a backorder you are interested in getting the domain "whenever" it becomes available. In both cases, we use the status of your backorder to try and catch it whenever it does in fact become available.

If you don't want us to try and get it after the drop is finished, simply delete it from your backorder queue.

Understood. It would be nice, however, if you could set an expiration period or some other time factor to automatically remove the missed catches from the list after a set time. It would keep the lists cleaner, and provide us with some flexibility on what is or isn't displaying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom