Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Tintin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infoproliferati

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Before Indiana Jones there was Tintin. I grew up reading the hand drawn volumes and I have to say it was such a delightful comic; very well researched, nicely crafted plots and filled with humor. So when Spielberg announced - almost two years ago - that he'd been working on Tintin just imagine my excitement. Oddly (or not), I'm the only one who seems to be anxiously awaiting the boy wonder on the screen in these parts (and by parts I mean my locality in the US). I asked folks at work, between ages 23 through 55, whether they'd heard of Tintin. None had heard of. NONE. As a matter of fact Tintin never really caught on in the U.S. How is that possible? For crying out loud Tintin is on the €10 coin. Anyway...

As you can see I'm a fan; a rather disappointed fan actually, given I have to wait until Dec 21st to see the Secret of the Unicorn while it premieres in Europe in a couple of days. For those who unaware of the adventures of the young Belgian reporter, permit TIME to provide a background: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2097373,00.html

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid, it was big on the TV in the UK as a cartoon. Sergio or Serge wasn't it?

Last edited:

Jeroen

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid, it was big on the TV in the UK as a cartoon. Sergio or Serge wasn't it?

Hergé; Georges Prosper Remi, his initials pronounced in reverse. Yep, here in Europe he's popular, especially with the older generations. I've read all his comics and seen some cartoons. The comics are quite awesome with attention to detail.

Last edited:

Infoproliferati

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you're 23 you're a bit young to have heard about Tintin. I certainly knew of the comic but wasn't a big fan.

For a cartoon created in 1929, 23 is indeed a bit young. Nonetheless, it is still a mystery to me how Tintin didn't engage the U.S as it did the world. I'm in my twenties and discovered Tintin through a buddy as a teenager.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Learn something everyday. I always thought it was nothing more than a comic. And here are members talking about it being a cartoon in Europe? Amazing.

Bill F.

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I didn't pick up on Tin Tin until I went to Europe, and met a girl who said I looked liked Tin Tin (she later took it back). Great comics, and my own kids enjoy the DVD series (bought in China). I am looking forward to the new movie, even though the one review said it was lifeless. Looks good enough to me. No idea why they never caught on in the US, but media didn't travel as easily then. (I also remember Bob Seger playing to eager crowds of 90,000 in Detroit, but barely filling bars in other parts of the US - unimaginable now.)

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think I read every TinTin 'graphic novel' when I was a kid. I remember the one with the large mushroom on the cover, with spots. Surprised it took so long to make a real TinTin movie. Lots of potential for sequels if they do it right. TinTin is probably well known in Quebec, Canada.

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I remember as a kid I had 2 graphic novels and loved them, even though my favorite heroes where Spider-Man and Batman. My memories of the books are that they were very well written. The movie looks like it pushes the envelope in terms of animation, and hopefully story-telling. Looking forward to seeing it.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I read A LOT of TinTin too when I was a kid. Watched some cartoon on TV as well. And I guess I still have "Explorers on the Moon" (which I bought as an adult) on my bookshelf.

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When I was young, I read TinTin again and again and enjoyed the adventures.

TinTin 3D might be interesting. I like 3D and will go and watch it.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It appears like it will be a lot like Polar Express - animation over live.

It may not have been a massive hit, but I though it was great and really broke ground for future animation.

Infoproliferati

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think I read every TinTin 'graphic novel' when I was a kid. I remember the one with the large mushroom on the cover, with spots. Surprised it took so long to make a real TinTin movie. Lots of potential for sequels if they do it right. TinTin is probably well known in Quebec, Canada.

Yeah I remember the mushroom volume you refer to. It is called "The Shooting star." Know what's kind of funny? Most Tintin readers identify the stories by cover rather than title. I recall reading Tintin in America, Land of Black Gold and Explorers of the Moon a gazillion times.

Bill F.

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That movie got bad reviews too, but I thought it was OK (the concept seemed borrowed from Galaxy Express 999 manga). The thing is with the uber-realistic animation is that it's creepy to many. I was reading a study recently where people were shown to be repulsed by overly-realistic simulations of people. They get perceived as real people, but something's just not quite right about them, and our brains respond negatively. On the other hand, simulations that don't go for authenticity are better received, because our brains clearly recognize them as simulations.

I guess the filmmakers are trying to shoot for that magic simulation where our brains don't pick up anything odd about the lifelike animation. Not there yet.

It appears like it will be a lot like Polar Express - animation over live.

It may not have been a massive hit, but I though it was great and really broke ground for future animation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom