Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

tinyurl.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ran across this today in another forum. useful tool for compressing long url's into short ones. the site claims 185 MILLION HITS per month. wow!!! wish it was mine.............

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
free sub-domain url forwarding is soooo 1999.. they used to be popular a while ago, i mean.. who uses this things this days?!

Gee

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mike031 said:
free sub-domain url forwarding is soooo 1999.. they used to be popular a while ago, i mean.. who uses this things this days?!

People who simply can't afford domains... or people who want to hide links to affiliate programs... etc.

Rob

P.S. I can certainly believe that tinyurl.com gets 185M hits per month.... they've been around a while, and they are one of the original sites offering URL redirections services.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
tinyurl.com was regged in 2002.. free url forwarding services were really really hot pre-2000 and maybe a year or two later as well... i never even heard of this place upto today, but anyway.. it is still quiet an accomplishment, their alexa ranking has almost tripled within the past 6 months or so for some reason.. which is odd

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RTM.net said:
P.S. I can certainly believe that tinyurl.com gets 185M hits per month.... they've been around a while, and they are one of the original sites offering URL redirections services.

In asia, this is common especially in universities. The value of registering domain names still not affordable. The forwarding service will stay there.

Cheers.

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mike031 said:

----------------------

mike: obviously a lot of people even if you assume their hit count is only a tenth of what they claim. in the other forum i ran across people were suggesting its useage primarily to post links to news articles instead of having for example: www.newyorktimes.com/todaysnews/article518954/johnson/13456/04150
or something similiar you can post a much shorter url which obviously gets you to the same place.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mark said:
----------------------

mike: obviously a lot of people even if you assume their hit count is only a tenth of what they claim. in the other forum i ran across people were suggesting its useage primarily to post links to news articles instead of having for example: www.newyorktimes.com/todaysnews/article518954/johnson/13456/04150
or something similiar you can post a much shorter url which obviously gets you to the same place.

yea, i know :smartass:

years ago people fell in love with this because it did save a lot of time.. but this days it is easy as 1-2-3 to simply link somebody to whatever url by simply dragging the url/window to wherever you are sending the link to via a messanger program, email, etc.. i guess there is a lot of "old schoolers" who rather do it this way or are unaware of how to manually create a link... but hey, whatever works for ya.. great... :)

ceo

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The MAIN use of the prog. is to shorten a url.
That's where tinyurl, snipurl etc... came into play & why they were late in the game.
Aff. marketers and email newsletter owners make optimum use of these services for reasons to hide actual URL and to shorten the URL in an email msg....

Mr. Deleted

DNForum Mod
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've used www.nip.net before to hide aff links

also check out freedns.afraid.org - they also do url redirects on your own domains. I have a lot of my names there, but you can have 5 yourname.afraid.org (or whatever they have in their system) for a free account.

NavySeals91

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I never really used tinyurl.com but they can come in handy when someone sends a huge link to you, but that is simply ruled out these days.

Jonathan

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
kodeking said:
owtf.com doesn't work correctly. Put http://www.yourdomain.com/file1.html in the box and hit make url. Then go back and enter http://www.yourdomain.com/file2.html in the box and hit make url. The two urls it makes are the same....
The random characters have already been generated when you load the first page. So it creates the short url using the first link you provided. If you hit back and attempt to do it again, it won't replace the original short url.

But you knew this - you're the kode king.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom