Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

TM Issue! please read....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Born Wild

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Some of you maybe unaware of the £50mil Thunderbirds Movie (based on the TV puppet series) starts production
In March this year.

My Question to you Guy 'n' Gals is this.....

The TM on this Movie and TV series appears to belong to Carlton TV and I've been advised by the board not to asocotiate any of my recent Thunderbirds reg's to the New Movie or TV series, however i ask you this.....

With the Internet being worth more than the entire stock market and being accessible to almost every country in the world
the internet is cheapest form of advertising on the planet!

Lets say you put up a Fan Site regarding Thunderbirds using the original logo and artwork from the TV/Movie series.... would Carlton close you down?... one could only assume that you are helping their course by publicizing their money spinner!

Lets say you set up an E-store, again using the T-birds logo etc, selling (original) Thunderbird toys and merchandise, to whom someone like Matchbox may have brought the rights to produce the toys.... would Carlton close you down?... the more T-toys kids own, the more their friends will be introduced to them, then... wanting one themselves!

The way i see it is this.... so long as your positively publicizing Thunderbirds then there shouldn't be a problem coz at the end of the day, myself and others involved in the Internet spin off of thunderbirds could be all the difference between a £200mil and a £400mil profit.

I ask you... would there be as much profit in the Harry Potter Movies without the Internet????????

Please post your view son this matter and tell me whether or not i'm completely bonkers!!

Cheers,
BW

Born Wild

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
28 views and no replys :sad:

Am i completley raving mad or is there some sence in my logic???

Please comment good or bad!

Cheers,
BW

Domainaholic

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You asked a legal question - so wait till the Wise Ones reply.

If you ask a pure domain question you will not have to wait long.

>>28 views and no replys
I't actually 14 - just each reader gets the double post bug.

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Give us some of the domains you are using for a better assessment. Though regardless of what they are if you are capitalizing on their success for a quick buck then you will be deadmeat unless it's a collector site and your intentions are good.

Some guy lost like several hundred dollars worth of harrypotter domains in a URDP. So looks like you're asking for trouble.

Question is why are you wasting your time and money on this?:confused:

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Born Wild
The way i see it is this.... so long as your positively publicizing Thunderbirds then there shouldn't be a problem coz at the end of the day, myself and others involved in the Internet spin off of thunderbirds could be all the difference between a £200mil and a £400mil profit.

The way you see it and the law have nothing in common.

Besides which, who are you to say what "positive publicity" is? You aren't the TM owner, so you don't get to choose.

If you think fan sites are going to double the movie profits, you are sadly mistaken.

If you want to keep a name like this, use it in a way other than the TM. Simple.

Born Wild

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Guys, i found the information you provided very useful!

Anybody know of a link to this case (see above) about the HarryPotter URDP despute?????

Thanks again,
BW!

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Media companies do not want, and do not appreciate, volunteer efforts to help them with publicity.

http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/html/2000/d2000-1254.html
This case is an interesting one from the perspective of the history of the Internet and the rumors associated with its creation. Stories have circulated that the inspiration for the Internet was the Owl Post system employed by wizards and students of wizardry in the Wizarding World. The system is often referred to as "The Way of the Wizarding World" (sometimes abbreviated in treatises of magic as "the three w's or "www"), and it is indeed the warp and woof of all wizard-to-wizard communication. In this system, a network of owls is employed to transmit information reliably and quickly. Indeed, some have claimed that the surname of the late, revered Father of ICANN, Jonathan B. Postel, is a Slavic derivation of the Romanian word for Owl Post. Thus, we approach our work in this case with especial seriousness.

Born Wild

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply jberryhill, it's good to see even the legal eagles take time out to reply!

Thanks again,
BW

spietreser

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jberryhill
Media companies do not want, and do not appreciate, volunteer efforts to help them with publicity.

What about companies with a tangible product that has to be sold in (on- and/or offline) shops?

Thanks!

ABCWarrior

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply but I have only just found this thread.

I had the domain spidermanmovie.co.uk and attached a site to it for a year based around spiderman merchandise.

I did not try to pass off that I was anything at all to do with the official site, I just sold Spiderman merchandise through affiliate schemes.

Anyway the domain is detagged now if anybody wants it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom