Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Tm Ns8

Status
Not open for further replies.

sellinbiz

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Found it thanks. Looks like NS8 is trademarked.

diverge

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am not a lawyer (as you would otherwise soon deduce), but it looks to me that the only TMs for NS8 are both "Service Marks". Doesn't this denote the drawing, and not the letters themselves? Aren't there some trademarks (i.e., drawings) that do not guarantee their owners use to the corresponding domain names? Can anyone clarify the differnet types of TMs -- and their domain name enforceability?

Also, the attorney on record with the USPTO is Jason Rhodes. While this company may employ multiple attorneys' offices, I would be a bit leary since the letter above is apparently signed "Cliff". In other words, wouldn't that be an interesting scam -- to scare people into giving up perfectly usable domains due to non-existing trademark issues, or trademark conflicts that are unenforceable. Just thinking out loud on this.

Ovicide

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
sellinbiz said:
Found it thanks. Looks like NS8 is trademarked.

"NS8" may be a common-law mark, but it is not a registered trademark in the United States.

Go back to uspto.gov, look up the mark again, and click the "Check Status" button.

You'll see:
Filing Date: 2004-06-01
Newly filed application, not yet assigned to an examining attorney.
First Use in Commerce Date: 2004-04-00

If you really want the name, you might check with one of the lawyers here to learn whether your use of "ns8.com" will infringe their mark.

sellinbiz

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Update: They (whoever Cliff represents) offered $500 each for a total of $1,000. Not sure what they mean by $500 each I only own NS8 .com.

domaindirk

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am not a lawyer, but it appears that you registered the domain well before they filed for the trademark. The "first use in commerce" could be a point contention, since it is the same month/year that you also registered the domain.

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Servicemarks do not mean that it's a drawing. Service mark means that its a business offering services instead of products. It otherwise works like a trademark.

OK, the deal here is just like it is on pretty much every thread here. It's only a trademark violation if three conditions are met:

1) Confusingly similar to a trademark. It appears they are trying to establish one. They may already have one and are just now registering it, or they may not have one at all. hard to tell. So let's just for the sake of argument say they have one and move on.

2) No legitimate purpose. NS8 could have all sorts of uses. Even if they do have a trademark, you can still have a legitimate use in some field other than the area for which they use their trademark. So if they have NS8 for, say, financial services (I didn;t bother to look up their application, so that may not be it), you can use it for some other field. A trademark on a word doesn't give them the right to prevent anyone else from using that word for every business out there, just ones competing with them.

3) Registered in bad faith. They are going to have a very difficult time proving you registered the name knowingly to infringe upon them.

So, basically, from a glance, and I am not a lawyer and blah blah blah, this whole threat of filing an ICANN dispute is nonsense, because they can't prove 2 out of 3 of the things they need to and the other one is debatable. It's apparent they either have no clue, are just trying to scare you into selling, or both.

If you want to sell for the price they offer (seems low to me, idiot emailing you probably got paid more than that in the time it took to write that), agree to, otherwise tell them that you have no intention of using it in a way that would infringe on their trademark and so there is no conflict.

That's my advice anyway.

diverge

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sellinbiz said:
Update: They (whoever Cliff represents) offered $500 each for a total of $1,000. Not sure what they mean by $500 each I only own NS8 .com.

This sounds VERY [p]fishy. I would definitlely hold off.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thinks .... DNForum Appraisal thread ......
"Appraisal for ns8.com please".
"3-character names are of little value unless they mean something"
"reg fee"
"this is a three character name not a 3-letter name"
"Are you smoking something bud? Nobody will pay $500
"I've reported your comments to the Mods

With apologies to sellinbiz for giving vent to my humour :wink:
All the best with the dispute/sale.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
If you simply registered the name to use it for nameservers and you are not really in love with it, $500 is not a bad amount at all. It will let you sleep better.

sellinbiz

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Issue settled. Payment in escrow now. Probably could have pushed for more, but their counter offer was good enough for me :)

Thanks for the responses

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Glad to see it worked out to the satisfaction of both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom