Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

TM registered after domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotpool

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I bought a domain in 2006, say xyz.com. A new company was started in 2007 with the name xyz. They trademarked xyz in 2007.

Do they any rights on the domain?

Thanks,

Jerome

Vjizzle

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They shouldn't. You filed it before they trademarked the name so you should be safe.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
the only way i could see you having a problem is if you had ppc ads selling the same products as they do.

dotpool

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks

What about contacting the company to try to sell the domain to them? It seems it is better to wait for them to contact me...

Any thoughts?

i-0.com

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I experienced this exact same scenario. I registered a clean (no trademark) dictionary domain, and a month later a new company TM'ed it. They contacted me and actually threatened action. I told them fine, but expect a counter for damages. Never bothered me again.

It's their tough luck, I'd put anything I wanted up and I have in my particular case.

marcorandazza

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They shouldn't. You filed it before they trademarked the name so you should be safe.

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!

If there was a "top ten stupid things domainers think about the law" this would be on that list.

If you registered your domain first and then they registered their trademark, they still may have common law trademark rights that precede your domain registration.

Additionally, if you think that the UDRP is the only procedure by which they may come after you, you're wrong.

You very well may have a defensible domain. But, do not listen to armchair domainer-lawyers. This board is full of more misinformation and misunderstandings about the law than a drunken policeman's orgy on saint idiot's day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom