Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

TM's and Typo's now worthless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitronet

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In case anyone here doesn't know, last week Overture started banning 1000's of TM and Typo domains that were being parked on their PPC service.

Another wave of bans came yesterday, and I'm sure its the beginning of the end for this type of business at least with Overture.

Will Google follow?

What else can be done with this traffic to monitize it?

Will the prices at the dropcatchers for these types of domains plummet?

Luckily I've got plenty of generic names that have good revenue, but what if you don't? What are the options?

When it comes down to it almost every generic word is trademarked in one way or another, what will happen there?

Although Overture is banning these domains they are still allowing advertisers to bid on these trademarked terms. Is this a double standard?

Domain Days 2024

aldwin

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nitronet said:
What else can be done with this traffic to monitize it?

Affiliation programs.
Rent traffic.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As owner of parkingsite.com, I have already been instructed to disallow TM names that are obvious.

TM names and TM typos will have little or no value while regular generic typos should still thrive.

-=DCG=-

M

mole

The writing was on the wall over a year ago. However, leeching off other people's work (implicitly or explicitly) is very common with domainers, and to some the only thing worth doing.

The big boys obviously know this, it was just a question of when and how. Already, Google does not allow you to use any tm words in your ads, and the list is pretty exhaustive of names and words that need special 'exclusion'.

PPC is currently driven by organized crime applying sophisticated click fraud techniques that pull in millions of dollars each day which does not depend on organic type-ins, so long as you have a domain registered, it can be mined for thousands. So the writing is on the wall for that too.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hitfarm banned many, not only tm-d ones also some with "bad" words in them, like satan.com
was it overture who banned them or was it hitfarm?

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

paxton

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how this plays out over time. As the bigger companies focus on quality control and banning these names, I wonder if some smaller outfits might see this as an opportunity. These domains will still have productive traffic even if they are banned.

Of course, it might take some time before anyone steps up to plate - leaving typo/TM owners in a state of panic in the near term.

:rolleyes:

ERCollins

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
AS owner of <removed>.com and <removed>.com, and not runnig overture. None of my feed providers or advertisers have talked or sugested the removal of typos or tm domains.

Now most of these advertisers do not pay near the amounts ovt does on generic terms.

20% of my portfolio is typos. I am sure there is some tm violations in there some where.

But I will send all my typo traffic to pps ppa programs if they ever get where i can not park them.

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hopefully i will be able to pick up a few bargains ! i dont think many on here know what a tm issue is !

I posted a "elitemodels.com" on here and i got a couple of pms saying keep it quite as well as people openly saying tm issues, there are tm issues !

So i checked it out and there was none ,although "elite model management "the biggest,oldest and most famous modeling agency in the world is commonly reffered by the public as "elitemodels"

So automatically people think that elitemodels is a tm and it is not,so hopefully more and more domainers will make the mistake of thinking there domains have tm issues and i can pick up a few bargains !

It was a great thread to start,hopefully it will cause panick selling amongst my fellow domainers and make me rich !

J2theIZZO

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Surely a generic typo is still the same thing though, for example, dictionary.com, this is a generic word and term, so a typo of this isn't Cybersqatting?

But in the same sense, why would someone register a typo of dictionary.com...the only reason is for the traffic and to make money from it.

If dictionary.com wasn't developed it wouldn't have anywhere near the traffic it has now, so you are again stealing traffic away and part of the hardwork put into creating the original website (Same as a TM typo).

So does that make generic typos as bad a TM typos?, I don't see why TM's are frown upon by certain domainers so much whilst dictionary word typos are considered fair game (I see why the general public and companies frown upon them though)

In my eyes they are one and the same, the goal of them both is to capture traffic from visitors to the orignal site and make money from them.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Fearless said:
They banned scammers.com, thieves.com, poo.us and demons.us. :evil:

who are they?

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
J2theIZZO said:
Surely a generic typo is still the same thing though, for example, dictionary.com, this is a generic word and term, so a typo of this isn't Cybersqatting?

But in the same sense, why would someone register a typo of dictionary.com...the only reason is for the traffic and to make money from it.

If dictionary.com wasn't developed it wouldn't have anywhere near the traffic it has now, so you are again stealing traffic away and part of the hardwork put into creating the original website (Same as a TM typo).

So does that make generic typos as bad a TM typos?, I don't see why TM's are frown upon by certain domainers so much whilst dictionary word typos are considered fair game (I see why the general public and companies frown upon them though)

In my eyes they are one and the same, the goal of them both is to capture traffic from visitors to the orignal site and make money from them.

I agree the only reason why people register typos of any word or tm is for the traffic,but why not, the goverments and bluechips dominance rob us everyday of our hard earned cash !

way whos got the typo of dnforum ? and has dcg tried to grab it back ?

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Fearless said:

thanks
but I don`t see any tm issues for satan, poo, scammers, thieves. Why ban this names?

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't ya just love it when you're right?

This is just the start. Next will be google, then all the ppc companies, then the drop catchers etc etc. Poof goes the blatant TM typos and up goes the generics including the alt extensions. The competition has just taken a BIG hit.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
stuff said:
thanks
but I don`t see any tm issues for satan, poo, scammers, thieves. Why ban this names?

That is a puritan attitude driving those bans. Nothing to do with TMs.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
but why not start own PPC company, use own feed, Offshore company?

we make cash for google and overture why let them sit on our head?? If some bigger players already make alone %1 off overture PPC?

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stocdoctor said:
Don't ya just love it when you're right?

This is just the start. Next will be google, then all the ppc companies, then the drop catchers etc etc. Poof goes the blatant TM typos and up goes the generics including the alt extensions. The competition has just taken a BIG hit.

I know you are completely correct, but give me a little credit too. I spent 25 posts arguing against Mocus that the myspace typos arent really worth all that much and he kept explaining how easy they were to monetize :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom