Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

To all the *PROS*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jernet

Old DNF'ef
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What is considered in 'good taste', as a fair amount of time to be obligated to an offer?

For example, if someone makes an offer on a domain you are selling, and you accept that offer, how long do you give them until you are 'relieved from your obligation to them' and can sell to someone else? You can miss a lot of sales by waiting around for a buyer that changes his mind or miscalculates funding, etc. I have been on both ends of this before.

I usually consider at least 24 hours, especially on weekends, holidays, time zone differences, etc. After that tho, I get a little nervous, especially if I dont even get a response explaining the holdup, and start considering other offers. Anyone else?

Domain Days 2024

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What is considered in 'good taste', as a fair amount of time to be obligated to an offer?

For example, if someone makes an offer on a domain you are selling, and you accept that offer, how long do you give them until you are 'relieved from your obligation to them' and can sell to someone else? You can miss a lot of sales by waiting around for a buyer that changes his mind or miscalculates funding, etc. I have been on both ends of this before.

I usually consider at least 24 hours, especially on weekends, holidays, time zone differences, etc. After that tho, I get a little nervous, especially if I dont even get a response explaining the holdup, and start considering other offers. Anyone else?

I usually specify "payment to be made within 48 hours" in my sales threads. If you have not specified/agreed a timeframe, I'd allow several days with reminders to make payment sent on a daily basis.

- Rob

Jernet

Old DNF'ef
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks Rob, after I posted this, i thought i probably should have put that as a requirement. makes sense, and seems fair enough

Chelsea

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, nothing beats my last experience with a fairly new member here, who made an offer and withdrew it within 80 minutes as I had not answered to his PM within a reasonable time...pretty difficult, being offline by that time...

I think 48 hours is max. for payment, unless otherwise agreed by both parties.

PeterMan

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, nothing beats my last experience with a fairly new member here, who made an offer and withdrew it within 80 minutes as I had not answered to his PM within a reasonable time...pretty difficult, being offline by that time...

I think 48 hours is max. for payment, unless otherwise agreed by both parties.

I am certainly not a "pro" but I say 48 hours is an appropriate amount of time... If you have another offer waiting and that person is serious they will not be worried having to wait 48 hours to hear if the domain has sold or not...

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You should always specify, but 2 BUSINESS DAYS is a good measure. If you're really a 'pro' your customers are mostly 9-5 weekday businesses. If you're selling to guys operating out of a garage (or Mom's basement) they're online around the clock :)

Seriously though -- I sell to many Europeans, and these guys seem to go on vacation about every other week -- I think the national averages there are like 6 weeks of vacation a year, so you need to be aware and plan for that.

Chelsea

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Seriously though -- I sell to many Europeans, and these guys seem to go on vacation about every other week -- I think the national averages there are like 6 weeks of vacation a year, so you need to be aware and plan for that.

You are right at some point, i.e. Germans have 6 weeks holidays a year plus about another week of days public holidays.
But most important should be that you are dealing with people in another timezone, when I go online in the morning a lot here is just heading towards their beds...

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

if a buyer does not respond to posting "sold" within 24hrs.

then i'll move on, to the next one.

unless that buyer had asked for extended time to pay, and it would depend on that individual's history.

for offers via email or phone, up to 3 business days to respond.

the reseller environment is meant for quick sales..."real buyers" like to get transactions settled asap!

imo :)

droplister

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
this just happened to me, its been sitting for a week now, Ive moved on, if he comes back ill just tell him no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom