Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

To email or not to email . . . that is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I hate it when I want a domain. Debating about writing the current owner of the domain (owner since 1995). Site has been down since 2005. No updates since 2006. I bet it will drop. But do I want to take the chance of it going to auction . . . what to do ? ? ?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Place a phone call ? :p

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If it is a 1995 reg...you have about a 99.9% chance that it will go to auction...if the name has any commercial value (not just a made up brandable or dashes & numbers) it will most likely go for xxxx or higher.

the thing you have to weigh is what you think the name will go for with the domainer dropping community....if you think domainers would not go over 1k...I would let it drop....otherwise I would absolutely send an inquiry...get the discussion going....

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the opinion. I like to put my best offer on the table with a take it or leave it approach. I will offer him $10,000 and see whether he bites

I prefer emailing but would want to hear others opinions whether I would be better off calling ? Leaving a VM ? or both ?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't sound like you're so interested.
IMO start with a simple mail or phone call: "hi, I noticed your domain has expired, if you no longer need it would you consider selling it" blah...

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Don't sound like you're so interested.
IMO start with a simple mail or phone call: "hi, I noticed your domain has expired, if you no longer need it would you consider selling it" blah...

I always like to make substantial offers in order to get peoples attention. Truthfully, the one thing I hate is not to be taken seriously. I don't even mind paying above market prices, just as long as my offer is taken seriously.

Phone call or email ? both ?

hmmmmm ????

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with your strategy in this case. I would send an e-mail initially and then follow up with phone conversation as needed.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the opinion. I like to put my best offer on the table with a take it or leave it approach. I will offer him $10,000 and see whether he bites

I prefer emailing but would want to hear others opinions whether I would be better off calling ? Leaving a VM ? or both ?

if its so good you are willing to offer up 10k first thing, i'd imagine he has seen plenty of offers over the time of ownership.

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
if its so good you are willing to offer up 10k first thing, i'd imagine he has seen plenty of offers over the time of ownership.

Not necessarily. I would be surprised if he has received ANY other offers. I have a partiular use for this particular domain. Doubt anybody else wants it.

gilescoley

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would email and ask him if he is selling and what price he wants. Let him give you a price first, you may get it cheaper than the offer you mentioned.

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would email and ask him if he is selling and what price he wants. Let him give you a price first, you may get it cheaper than the offer you mentioned.

My experience is that if you dont make an offer, your email ends up in the dustbin of history. I ALWAYS make offers. I never merely enquire.

gilescoley

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My experience is that if you dont make an offer, your email ends up in the dustbin of history. I ALWAYS make offers. I never merely enquire.

That fine if you have the money to spend. If they want to sell, they will just say "make an offer", then you can go in with your 10K offer. What if they turned around and said 2K?

Your call though....

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That fine if you have the money to spend. If they want to sell, they will just say "make an offer", then you can go in with your 10K offer. What if they turned around and said 2K?

Your call though....

I hears ya point. So much so, that I think I will change my strategy this go around. I have been very lucky with my past emails BUT I think I maybe do want to ask if the domain is even for sale.

Will let u knows hows it goes

gilescoley

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good luck, hope you get a bargain

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily. I would be surprised if he has received ANY other offers. I have a partiular use for this particular domain. Doubt anybody else wants it.

Then it seems like offering 10k right away would be a waste of money and a bad business move.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Usually the first offer is not accepted but followed by a counter-offer so leave room for negotiation.
Most people don't know the value of domains. If you start with 10K there is a chance he will think his name is the next sex.com, that you're loaded and he won the jackpot.

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Usually the first offer is not accepted but followed by a counter-offer so leave room for negotiation.
Most people don't know the value of domains. If you start with 10K there is a chance he will think his name is the next sex.com, that you're loaded and he won the jackpot.

I agree Kat

I am gonna first email and ask if it is even for sale

.no

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am gonna first email and ask if it is even for sale
If I received an email like that I wouldn't even bother to answer.

You should pick up the phone and call the registrant. If not, offer them mid/high $x,xxx. That will show them you're serious and at least make them think about letting them domain go.

I assume this is a valuable domain name and that you have estimated it's value.

.no

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If I received an email like that I wouldn't even bother to answer.

You should pick up the phone and call the registrant. If not, offer them mid/high $x,xxx. That will show them you're serious and at least make them think about letting them domain go.

I assume this is a valuable domain name and that you have estimated it's value.

.no

I disagree to a certain extent. I communicated with a former company CEO who has a great generic .com. They were an active site/community of 10+ years but shut down about 3 years ago...they are currently not using the domain name. I sent them a polite inquiry email with my full contact info on it. The CEO/Owner got right back to me. This was not a dummy, he knows that his domain is valuable, he had an ball park idea of what he wanted for the name and gave it to me right away. It was too high for me at the time, but maybe a great deal for the right person. I gave him my offer and told him I would get back to him in the coming months if I could improve my offer. He thanked me for the offer and told me he would get back in touch if his circumstances changed as well....this is a name that is ripe for the picking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom