Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

To file or not to file a WIPO dispute?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who has owned a company for many many years and has become nationally known. He does not own his company name as a .com, however, and recently, the owner of the .com has set up a website on the .com that is the same type of business as my friend.

So, can my friend file a WIPO case? I am not going to disclose the company name or domain name, so I will understand if your answers are generic, which is fine. I'm just looking to help out and I told him I would look into this process for him.

What is the best option and what can be done to have the domain transfered? The domain itself was registered several years after the company had been around. It just had not made the jump to the internet yet.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreicated. Thanks.

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If your friend truly feels that his business will suffer then he should pay an Attorney the 1-2K as well as the filing fee and file.

It sounds as though a phone call or email won't work in this case, but that is nearly always the best first option. A well-researched filing would go a long way in swaying the Arbiters, as many of them are a notch above lame.

The bottom line is that if your friend deserves the name he will likely win the dispute, and if he doesn't deserve the name he still might.

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How would somebody go about filing a WIPO case/dispute?

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hire a Intel. Property lawyer.

Otherwise, he will lose the case and the filing fee plus the opportunity of filing again.

I suggest he contact

John Berryhill or Stevan Lieberman - Stevan (at) APLegal.com

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think that before starting a UDRP you should get in touch with that company (possibly via a lawyer) and try to find an arrangement.
Or have a lawyer send a C&D to them.
A WIPO will cost you $1500 and no guarantee of success.
A lawyer may be able to convince them that they are at risk if they continue to use the name.
If you proceed with the UDRP the onus is on you to prove bad faith from the domain registrant. As a rule I think such measures should only be used as a last resort when all other options have been exhausted.
Good luck.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
With all due respect kfordahl, if you are making a specific recommendation, you should identify whether you have an interest in any of the providers you mention. While I would not want to jump to a conclusion on the basis of a username, it might be reasonable for others to assume that you do not have a connection with any of the organizations mentioned in your post. To the extent that inference is reasonable and incorrect, it would be your duty to correct that mistaken impression.

In most states, it is considered unethical for an attorney to make a referral to a business in which the attorney has an interest, without disclosure of the attorney's interest therein. I will leave it up to you to make a determination as to whether you might clarify who you are here.

The question is:
What is the best option and what can be done to have the domain transfered?

Filing a UDRP complaint may, or may not, be your friend's "best" option. Many attorneys will consult with your friend on an unpaid basis to make a preliminary determination of what, among several options, may be available. Running off to pay the NAF a non-refundable fee of $1300 on a do-it-yourself basis, when a representative of the NAF recently stated in public that as many as 95% of complaint filings there are initially deemed non-compliant, may or may not be the "best option". As recently as last month, for example, there was a situation in which someone had self-filed a complaint without knowing that the NAF would provide a five-day deadline for correcting errors in the complaint. He had paid his fee and gone off on a business trip without checking his email. He came back to find his complaint dismissed and his non-refundable fee taken.

Without full consideration of the facts, it may well be that such filing could trigger pre-emptive declaratory or other action against your friend.

If your friend is located in the United States, there may be any number of competent attorneys in your friend's state. As a general rule, I do not accept engagements on the basis of forum threads on which I have commented (such as this one at this point).

Concerning the statement of NAF fees above, you should also know the following information for comparing WIPO and NAF.

At WIPO, if you and the respondent resolve the dispute prior to panelist appointment, you will get a refund of $1,000. At NAF, you will not receive a refund. At WIPO, if you desire to file additional comments to rebut the Response, there is no fee. At NAF, you will be charged $400.

Accordingly, comparing the initial filing fee for NAF and WIPO does not accurately convey what your total cost may be, and it might be deceptive if, for example, a representative of the NAF were to advertise their services solely on that basis.

Another piece of information which has recently come to light is that the UDRP rules require that the panel shall determine the outcome on the basis of the complaint and the response. At the NAF, an additional document is produced by the NAF and sent to the panel without either party being made aware of its contents. While a judge, for example, might engage his or her own clerks to produce memoranda on a case before the judge, the situation at the NAF - with NAF staff not selected by the panelists preparing case memoranda - is markedly different from a normal judicial clerk arrangement. Hence, if you want your case to be determined by the panel on the basis of the documents submitted by the parties, without having the dispute resolution provider organization opine on the matter, then you should clearly avoid the NAF.

carlton

Internet Real Estate
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
jberryhill said:
... At the NAF, an additional document is produced by the NAF and sent to the panel without either party being made aware of its contents ...
Good information, helpful input.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It appears that an advertising post was removed from the thread, should my comments appear odd in the remaining portions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom