Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Todays WLS meeting is not going unchallenged.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I got mixed feelings with WLS..I like it, but I don't....

After reading that. How exactly would WLS be an illegal lottery?. Wouldn't pool.com, snapnames.com, etc, also be considered illegal lotteries?.

As I see it, registrars won't completely miss the bus with this. They can sell WLS slots. The only reason registrars are pissed off is because they can't sell their connections to pool.com/etc/ anymore.....which apparently is illegal (since it would be illegal for WLS doing the same thing)

RMF

M

mole

RMF said:
The only reason registrars are pissed off is because they can't sell their connections to pool.com/etc/ anymore.....which apparently is illegal (since it would be illegal for WLS doing the same thing)

Yes, that probably pisses them off the most.

It also pisses BD off till no end to know the private registrar connections they paid for will be worth squat soon.

Hard luck, guys. Take a chilly pill and go spend a couple of million on WLS slots. :-D

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This will be very interesting. Most of the time in the past, it seems as though ICANN has caved into anything Verisign wants. This one has a huge challenge under-tow. Trademark law, the FTC, state consumer protection laws and other issues. Guess we will have to see how this winds out. From what we hear. if ICANN says yes to WLS, the registry is set to go immediately with the program and drops will cease at once.

Nameable

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RMF said:
As I see it, registrars won't completely miss the bus with this. They can sell WLS slots. The only reason registrars are pissed off is because they can't sell their connections to pool.com/etc/ anymore.....which apparently is illegal (since it would be illegal for WLS doing the same thing)

IANAL however: It's an illegal lottery if you pay and get nothing. .biz (neustar) did this and got into big trouble. Only the government (here in the US) can take your money and give you nothing (or only the government can give someone permission to take money and give nothing).

Since wls claims can expire worthless, they'd have to be regulated to protect consumers, sorta like how the options market is regulated by the SEC.

bocajohnh

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Any update on yesterday's meeting. I didn't find anything in the national feeds...

bocajohnh

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
bocajohnh said:
Any update on yesterday's meeting. I didn't find anything in the national feeds...
Reported on icannwatch.com - the rumor is that this topic was moved to the next meeting in Rome. Sidebar: Conspiracy theorists, how many US businesses and concerned public citizens will make this flight? Anyone? Anyone?

Anyway, here's a link to the letter from the same law firm involved in the .biz issue, representing unamed registrars who are against WLS. They strongly urge ICANN to stop WLS or at least delay a decision on this matter. Which, by moving to the next meeting, might be a delay, no?

http://www.icannwatch.org/essays/WLS-is-unlawful.pdf

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The reason the registrars are pissed off is they won't make any money off of them. It's as simple as that. It will turn into a "who can go the lowest" battle as all registrars are doing now and the only one making any money is netsol.

Nameable

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
bocajohnh said:
Conspiracy theorists, how many US businesses and concerned public citizens will make this flight? Anyone? Anyone?

Where are ICANN and Verisign incorporated? Does either have offices in NY, MA or CA? These states have active attornies general who would likely work to strike down any illegal lottery... even if the FTC rubber stamps some whacked out ICANN plan.

domainduck

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
WLS is NSI's second attempt at getting back their lost hunk of domain name revenue. When lower priced ( lower than $35.00/year ) registrations appeared, NSI did not compete and lost major revenue. To fight back, they duped ICANN with the Redemption period, which is a bomb. Now comes WLS - another dupe to get their fingers back into the pie. NSI should stay out of expired domain names.

quack %+|

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom