Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

For Sale Toothache.ca is on auction at Sedo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedgeman

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The $500 reserve was met, so although this is the first Sedo auction on a .ca domain, I can recall, I,m wondering if there is anything I need to watch out for regarding the new registrar transfers. How long does it take to complete a auction sale and transfer and receive a Sedo payment. Someone, must have gone before me, using this auction with a .ca domain under the new system?
I will let you all know, how this plays out. Paying Sedo $100 off the top is painful enough, I hope the process does not turn me completely off.
I was not sure if I wanted to negotiate with the bidder or auction it, so I thought about it over the week-end and now I only have 2 days 22 hours 42 min. left. as of Monday 13. Already, I have lost time for my auction.
Oh well, try it and learn from it :)

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't matter that it's a .ca domain. Once the auction ends, if the buyer makes a payment right away, and the transfer is done quickly, it can be done pretty quick (a day or two). It can also take a while if the buyer is slow to pay, slow to help with the transfer, approve their end of the process, etc. I think Sedo offers paypal for payment too. If there is a hold-up, it also doesn't hurt to email Sedo and get them to move things along.

JonathanR

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have had that experience as well with SEDO and a dot ca. It was with the previous CIRA system and the new owners couldn't figure out how to accept a CIRA ownership change. SEDO clearly didn't help them through the process at all, and I had to wait weeks for them to finally release me the money.

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have had that experience as well with SEDO and a dot ca. It was with the previous CIRA system and the new owners couldn't figure out how to accept a CIRA ownership change. SEDO clearly didn't help them through the process at all, and I had to wait weeks for them to finally release me the money.

This goes back to setting everything up for your buyers under the old system.
When an account is set (both a CIRA account and a registrar account) up, and the info emailed to the buyer, then the buyer only had to change emails.
You could leave it as public whois, so that SEDO could see that the transfer had been done.

Under the new system, you'll need to do something similar, i.e., create a new CIRA account and a new registrar account with PUBLIC whois, tell SEDO that it's done, and THEN send the buyer the EPP Key. (Don't tell the buyer about PRIVATE whois until you've received your money, if you need to tell them at all).

Tedgeman

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"create a new CIRA account and a new registrar account with PUBLIC whois, tell SEDO that it's done, and THEN send the buyer the EPP Key. (Don't tell the buyer about PRIVATE whois until you've received your money, if you need to tell them at all" )
Thats great info, I,ll start that today with Namespro... here's hoping my toothache does not turn into a headache!

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

This goes back to setting everything up for your buyers under the old system.
When an account is set (both a CIRA account and a registrar account) up, and the info emailed to the buyer, then the buyer only had to change emails.
You could leave it as public whois, so that SEDO could see that the transfer had been done.

Under the new system, you'll need to do something similar, i.e., create a new CIRA account and a new registrar account with PUBLIC whois, tell SEDO that it's done, and THEN send the buyer the EPP Key. (Don't tell the buyer about PRIVATE whois until you've received your money, if you need to tell them at all).
12:49:23 EST I would like to create a new CIRA account and a new registrar account with PUBLIC whois, for toothache.ca, as this process may simplify the future transfer, after the Domain auction at Sedo and THEN, I can send the buyer the EPP Key.

December 14, 2010
13:04:56 EST Hi Terry,

"Thank you for your inquiry, Namespro

Please note that as a policy of CIRA, after a domain name is pushed from one registrant profile to another, the domain cannot be pushed to yet another registrant profile within 60 days. In other words, two domain ownership changes can only be performed more than 60 days apart. "
Well, I guess this information stops that plan in its tracks, am I missing something FWDTech?

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You need to set the account up for the buyer - i.e. all the reg. info for the buyer EXCEPT the email address, which I just create a custom email for each domain purchase.

When SEDO confirms receipt of payment, then disable whois privacy, so that the buyer and SEDO can see the transfer has been done. (All that remains is to change the email & send him the registrar login info - thinking outloud, I'm wondering whether the buyer even needs to then be sent the EPP Key).

The only snag could be that the buyer COULD enable private whois, and then deny having control of the domain.

If the sale originated from SEDO, they should have a policy dealing with CIRA's new system (but they probably don't).

If the sale was from elsewhere, and SEDO is just the escrow service, I would suggest asking MYid what they do with CIRA's new system.
With CIRA's new system & with private whois, the advantage of using a Canadian reistrar for escrow and transfer is bigger than ever.

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Any update on your sale?

I'm in the process of a Sedo-originated sale, as well.

Concerned - yes.

Sedo's last message "Please note that .ca domain name transfers differ from many other TLD transfers. The buyer must contact his registrar and ask them to initiate a both the Transfer of Registrar and a Transfer of Registrant. These transfers must be approved by you simultaneously. If you approve only the Transfer of Registrar, then the domain will move to the buyer's registrar but retain your WhoIs information; if you approve only the Transfer of Registrant, then the domain will reflect the buyer's WhoIs information but will remain in your registrar account. In either of these scenarios, the other portion of the transfer process cannot be carried out for a further 60 days, as per CIRA transfer policies."

So, although they have the 60-day (instead of 30), and they ask for the EPP Key, they are also still requesting that the seller approve the RANT & RAR transfer. I've emailed them of the changes, but who knows?

Oh, and they've boosted their fee (effective Jan 1, 2011) from 10% to 15% (the buyer is paying, either way, but that's getting greedy).

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
SEDO and .CA -be prepared for absolutely NO help from sedo - it will be your worst experience by far + the new CIRA system

granted SEDO will get the buyers $$ quickly - but will not release it - so this will take I guess 3 weeks +

Or 8+ weeks. Sedo is great - if you are really into pain.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Or 8+ weeks. Sedo is great - if you are really into pain.

I also have a Sedo .ca sale pending where I was the seller, going on week 6 now, a real pain in the ass to use Sedo for these.

-=DCG=-

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here we go.

Sedo's reply:
"This is incorrect. CIRA imposes a 60-day lock on any .ca domain name after either a transfer of registrar or transfer of registrant is approved by the seller. Therefore, if only one of these transfer requests is approved, the other half of the transfer cannot be completed for a further 60 days, and the domain transfer cannot be closed in our transfer system.

Please let us know once you've received and approved the transfer requests simultaneously. If you wish to double check our information, please feel free to contact CIRA directly, however this is indeed a new CIRA policy since they updated their transfer system to use auth codes."

---------- Post added at 09:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

I also have a Sedo .ca sale pending where I was the seller, going on week 6 now, a real pain in the ass to use Sedo for these.

What does Sedo say when you ask them about the delay?

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What does Sedo say when you ask them about the delay?

Sedo Transfer Agent
Please note that we have followed up with the buyer again however they have not responded to us. We will let you know as soon as this happens.

that's the last reply I have had about a week ago.

-=DCG=-

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just got this from Sedo, don't they know there is no registrant transfer anymore! Ughhhhh!

Sedo Transfer Agent
The buyer has spoken to his registrar, who is also GoDaddy, and they informed them that the transfer of registrar is complete, but the transfer of registrant is not. As per the new CIRA regulations that govern .ca transfers, if only one of these two transfer requests is approved, the domain will be locked for 60 days and the other transfer request cannot be completed until this lock is up.

The domain is not legally in the buyer's ownership until the registrant transfer has been completed, so the transfer cannot be closed until the lock is up, the registrant transfer is approved on your end, and the buyer is the legal owner of this domain.

-=DCG=-

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So the transfer cannot be closed until the lock is up, the registrant transfer is approved on your end.

-=DCG=-

It's pretty sad.

I'm trying to get Sedo to understand that there is NO approval process anymore in the wonderful .ca world so greatly streamlined by CIRA, Rob & Paul.

The scant contract states that:

"3. c) The parties of a purchase agreement shall be obliged to each other and to Sedo GmbH or Sedo LLC to provide the necessary cooperation in order to successfully complete the transaction."

If the buyer messes up because he doesn't understand, because the registrar doesn't understand, and because Sedo doesn't understand - does not mean that the seller didn't fulfill his sole obligation, which is to: 1. unlock the domain, and 2. provide the enabling EPP Key.

Tedgeman

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"If you approve only the Transfer of Registrar, then the domain will move to the buyer's registrar but retain your WhoIs information; if you approve only the Transfer of Registrant, then the domain will reflect the buyer's WhoIs information but will remain in your registrar account. In either of these scenarios, the other portion of the transfer process cannot be carried out for a further 60 days, as per CIRA transfer policies."

I had no opportunity to agree to anything, once I unlocked and provided the code, the domain headed over to Godaddy as a registrar transfer, I,m still the registrant, so sadly, I,m disappointed in Sedo service here. Shows a lot of incompetence! Oh well, whats a couple of months wait and a $100 commission. lol

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
looks like the thread should be "headache.ca at Sedo"

I emailed myid this morning, as their escrow info was pre-black-Tuesday (Oct 12/13, 2010).

They updated it today and emailed back. Pretty impressive reaction, I would say.

www.myid.ca/escrow

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

The buyer has spoken to his registrar, who is also GoDaddy,
-=DCG=-

My buyer also tried GoDaddy, but something happened and he went DAC.

Geez, who got GoDaddy into the .ca biz anyways?:cheeky:

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

Actually, after reading myid's simple instructions, they are doing it the right way.

7. As soon as funds are verified, we advise all parties that funds have been received and instruct the seller to unlock the domain and send us the authcode.

Then, myid creates the registrant account.

8. Domain is transferred to the registrant that buyer specifies and funds are released to seller.

Any true escrow service for our genius .ca system MUST have the involvement of a knowledgeable registrar.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think for domain sales to get done you need a buyer and a seller that are both motivated to get it done quick, and a registrar that knows about .ca transfers.

Even outside Sedo, domain transactions can take a long time. Amazes me some buyers make it drag on for weeks, when I buy I do everything to get it done as quick as possible.

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think for domain sales to get done you need a buyer and a seller that are both motivated to get it done quick, and a registrar that knows about .ca transfers.

Even outside Sedo, domain transactions can take a long time. Amazes me some buyers make it drag on for weeks, when I buy I do everything to get it done as quick as possible.

Agreed. However, the buyer's motivation evaporates once they have the domain.

I've had buyers neglect (they were mad that we had sniped the domain under siber's previous system) to tell escrow.com that the transfer had completed, so escrow wasn't released.
Because of the public whois at that time, escrow was released after 3 or 4 days.

With private whois, how can a seller PROVE anything?

In fact, if the buyer says that he's John Smith, but the domain is transferred to Billy Jones, how can the seller do anything about it?

The seller MUST set up the registrant account himself for the buyer, and have privacy turned off, in order to PROVE the transfer has been done. Or alternatively, use someone like myid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom