Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Trademark application for domain name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Has anyone got experience register a .com mark?

Any cheap online registration website?

Also, i read somewhere that it takes months to get an approval, what happens if a URDP is received in the meantmie?

I know this question has been asked a few times on this forum, but i checked all the old thread, still some doubts. If anyone can advise, thanks! :)

seanboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i'd like to know this as well

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It would depend on the jurisdiction. In the USA (federally/USPTO) it does take quite some time to have your trademark application approved, generally. Other jurisdictions will approve your application almost instantly (within 24 hours.) Have you checked the procedures in Singapore, which appears to be your location? They may be favorable.

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It would depend on the jurisdiction. In the USA (federally/USPTO) it does take quite some time to have your trademark application approved, generally. Other jurisdictions will approve your application almost instantly (within 24 hours.) Have you checked the procedures in Singapore, which appears to be your location? They may be favorable.

Thks. I checked, costs about $200 for self-application, but takes 4-5 mths to get approved - which i thought is a crazy. About to send in the application form, just hoping to find more info before making the move. :)

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are you using the site as a company name for products and services? (ie ebay.com) or is it just a PPC or portal site. TMs are earned through commercial usage, so even if you send in the appilcation, it may not be approved if you are not offering bona fide goods/services. Plus there can be challenges from other TM holders who may have a similar name as the one you wish to register. Just a couple points to keep in mind.

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Are you using the site as a company name for products and services? (ie ebay.com) or is it just a PPC or portal site. TMs are earned through commercial usage, so even if you send in the appilcation, it may not be approved if you are not offering bona fide goods/services.

>>> It will be a news portal site.

Plus there can be challenges from other TM holders who may have a similar name as the one you wish to register. Just a couple points to keep in mind.

>>> There isn't a similar trademark if i register in Singapore.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Based on commercial usage, you may already have a common law mark...

And typically, for marks being actively utilized, it's the date of first use that matters, not the filing date...

So before rushing to file somewhere, take some time and consider consulting with an attorney to be sure your mark is registered properly ... yes, it's often easy to file the paperwork, but doing it right is another matter completely ... ie. many do-it-yourselfers neglect to appreciate how important it is to register their mark in the correct TM class(es).

On a related note, a TM registration application of an entire domain name is more likely to be extensively questioned ... giving the wrong answers can easily lead to the registration being denied.

Ron

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If it is a portal site, it may not be concidered as a bona fide offereing of goods and services. Even in UDRPs, many times it is not concidered as a bona fide use and not establishing rights to a domain. At this point, getting an attorney is a very wise idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom