Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Trademark dfe.de

Status
Not open for further replies.

fpattberg

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello DNF.

I have received an email today from a German women threatening me that there are trademark issues with my domain dfe.de. She previously made an offer for the name. I thought the offer was to low so I wrote her that I would sell for a higher offer. Next thing she send me this email saying that she will contact the trademark owner.

Does anyone know where to find the information to find out whether this is true, who the trademark owner is and what to do in the case of a present trademark?

Thanks for the help.

Fabian

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe your domain is an acronym of an existing registered trademark that it violates. You may find out more about DPMA (German trademark authority) here http://www.dpma.de/index.htm
good luck

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There are 2 registered german trademarks for "dfe", one for medical equipment the other one for hydraulic pumps, motors etc.2 different TM owners.

But what does that mean anyway ?

They're surely not the only ones that use the initials DFE as a name for their products, services or companies.So that alone doesn't give them automatic rights to the domain.They would have to prove you knew about their TM when you registered the name, that your business competes with theirs, that you use the name to mislead visitors of your site into thinking it was that company's site etc etc.
PM me with more details if you like.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do your Homework on the trademark issues...But

I would just blow off this parasite who contacted you...block her e-mail ...she wants to scare you into selling your name to her.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Though i agree she's probably indeed just a parasite that want your name for cheap i don't think just ignoring her is a wise move really.

What do you do when she files a "DISPUTE" with Denic, the .de registry ?

You might not even notice she did while she is the only one of both of you to present her case to Denic and might even win because of that.

Do you actually know what a "DISPUTE" in Denic terms is and how it works ?!

Better do *NOT* block her email.

McDot

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As soon as a Dispute is known to Denic, the domain will be blocked allthough you don't even know it. To find that out, you just need to try to change the holder of the domain. If it works, there is no dispute.

German law will normaly give the domain to a TM owner if the domain is not generic. But there are plenty of exceptions!

Whoever is acting as a adminC for you will probably not want to risk it.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As soon as a Dispute is known to Denic, the domain will be blocked allthough you don't even know it. To find that out, you just need to try to change the holder of the domain. .

True - or call Denic.

If it works, there is no dispute.

True.If meant as in "..no dispute YET".But there might be a lawsuit instead.

German law will normaly give the domain to a TM owner if the domain is not generic.

Bold statement.At least the way it is worded, not true.

Paul_Kuhn

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
...with my domain dfe.de.
I made a look at whois: Holder, Admin-C, Tech-c and Zone-C are the same person, a german guy.
Are you shure, its your domain?

Ahoi!

McDot

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDot
German law will normaly give the domain to a TM owner if the domain is not generic.

Bold statement.At least the way it is worded, not true.

I realized that it is not very well worded!

That is why I added:
But there are plenty of exceptions!

fpattberg

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the advice.

Admin C: I have also noticed that the Admin C etc still shows the information of the previous owner. I have contacted EuroDNS where the name is hosted. Lets see what that brings up.
I contacted the previous owner and he never had any problems.

On the threatening email: I will not answer now and just wait and see. I also have an offer through Sedo which looks quite good and if that goes through I will sell it. But lets wait and see.

On trademark issue: I also wait and see here whether anyone contacts me.

I will update this thread once I know more.

Regards,
Fabian

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just curious: As the whois doesn't seem to show you at all - how come that lady found out about you ?

fpattberg

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi.

She made an offer via the namedrive parking page.

Update on Admin C: Just got an email from EuroDNS that they are being changed to my include my details.

Fabian

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"What do you do when she files a "DISPUTE" with Denic, the .de registry ?
You might not even notice she did while she is the only one of both of you to present her case to Denic and might even win because of that.
Do you actually know what a "DISPUTE" in Denic terms is and how it works ?!
Better do *NOT* block her email."

The thread starter did not say she was going to present a case...

Next thing she send me this email saying that she will contact the trademark owner."

This is why I said to ignore her...if a trademark holder contacted himm...it is a different story.

fpattberg

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One clarification: She did not say that she was a trademark holder. She just threatened to contact them.:baring_teeth:

Just hollow threats? I have no idea!

Any other advice is appreciated.

Fabian

fpattberg

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Update:

I have decided to take the name of the market. Just for a little while to be on the safe side.

Does anyone know how to pull a name of the market at Sedo while there are still offers on the name?

Thanks.

Fabian

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom