Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Trademark in domain - What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

safin

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Looking for advice on starting a sports forum on a domain that has a trademark.

I was planning to open a small fan site(forum, fantasy league) on formula1 racing. However my domain has "f1" in it. While f1 is a sport(formula1 racing), its also a trademark.
From Formula1 website legal notice said:
The F1 FORMULA 1 logo, FORMULA 1, FORMULA ONE, F1 STORE, F1, GRAND PRIX and logos and the Sweeping Curves logo are trademarks of Formula One Licensing BV, a Formula One Group Company. All rights reserved.
I thought the best way would be to approach the formula1 legal team and seek permission before i start anything on the domain. But inspite of waiting for a month, and reminder mails i haven't recieved any clearance or response.

My question is it really necessary to seek prior approval before starting something on the domain. :rolleyes:

ps: i think this post should be in the legal forum, but no permission to post there :(

cbk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

safin

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
^ uh oh, i did a search here and i found this written by some other member
http://www.dnforum.com/f4/look-what-santa-brought-me-f1r-com-thread-198780.html#post1036687
As a fan site or forum and not a competitor it would be completely legal and within his rights to use the domain related to F1 racing...
I just thought that since its a sport followed worldwide, they would not have much problems with fan sites. (There are plenty of sites out there on f1 with f1 in title? http://www.dmoz.org/Sports/Motorsports/Auto_Racing/Formula_One/)

Fatbat

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

oppo

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
dont want to stop your manpower, but be very very careful with "F1" in any of your domains

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is up to the TM holder if they want to allow it or not. Some would be OK with it (there are many sites out there with *****um etc..) in them and they go on day by day while others are served with C&Ds within hours of registering the domain.

Any advice given here should have a huge YMMV stamp with it.

The safest route to go is to come up with your own domain and work with that.

safin

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Was finally able to get a mail through to the f1 authorities.
They replied to say they have forwarded my request to the concerned department and they would reply if i can go ahead or not. I guess if they don't give the permission, i will change the domain.
Sad part is that it was a great domain :) a pity if it would go waste. (sadly i even registered it for 10 years lol)

Last edited:

safin

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just an update.
I have got a response from f1 legal and marketing team who after clarifying what my site model is and having a look have given their go ahead :)

Should i ask for any written confirmation or an email confirmation(with their official email id and representative name) is good enough for future?

HolyRoller

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Written confirmation is obviously best, but emails can be used in case of a legal dispute. I have asked permission to use TM domains before and in most cases they have agreed but stipulated certain things. Sometimes it is as simple as placing a link back to the original site.

safin

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
^^yes, in this case among other things, they have asked me to carry a legal disclaimer at the bottom.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's good news, congrats.

Fatbat

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, congratulations. I hope your site is a success!

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom