Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

trademark notice email for a domain, but cant find the trademark

Status
Not open for further replies.

dewd

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I got a interesting email from someone saying they want me to transfer them a domain name over to them for free because its directly related to their trademark, both words in the domain are dictionary words but together can point to their company in Google ( which I am pretty sure its a unregistered company )

I searched the trademark database in Canada, USA, aus, uk ( they are from uk ), and I cant find anything related to it.

would you just ignore ? or would you inquire about the registration id for the trademark and company license ?

also, If I applied for the usa or canada trademark and its approved.....could I ask for their domain ?

thanks

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You are a Canadian, conducting business here in Canada.

They are from the UK, conducting business in the UK.

How does your use of the mark in Canada affect their UK business?

Bill F.

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you could post the email, with all names and identifying features deleted, we might get a better idea of whether it's legit or just a scammer after a free domain.
Even if it's legit, it doesn't mean they have any right to your name, but you will have to treat it seriously.

Jeroen

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have one enduser threatening me with legal action. They claim to own the trademark but they do not and they ignored my question when I asked for evidence. Instead, I raised my asking price. This is also for a generic two-word .com but i'm not suggesting you should do the same.

dewd

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
30th May 2012 : Company Trademark Infringement Notification, cease and desist.
To Whom It May Concern:

As I am sure you are aware, *ANIMAL*Hosting is a provider of Hosting, domain registration and assorted other hosting related products. Relative to our business, *ANIMAL*Hosting owns many valuable designs, trademarks which we use to identify and market *ANIMAL*Hosting and *ANIMAL*Hosting products. The *ANIMAL*Hosting name is of great value to us, as it is used to indicate that goods or services are affiliated with and monitored by *ANIMAL*Hosting. Taking this into consideration, every time the *ANIMAL*Hosting mark appear online, *ANIMAL*Hosting's good name and reputation are on the line.
Legally, it is the responsibility of trademark owners to protect and control the use of their trademarks. Often the need and obligation to protect its marks places *ANIMAL*Hosting in a very difficult position. If *ANIMAL*Hosting allows its marks to be used in any way that does not signify that *ANIMAL*Hosting is the source of a good or service, then the value and meaning of the *ANIMAL*Hosting is diminished. If *ANIMAL*Hosting allows these issues to go unaddressed, we may lose our rights to the *ANIMAL*Hosting marks.

*ANIMAL*Hosting is fully aware of the fact that it would not be as successful as it is without the continued passion and devotion of *ANIMAL*Hosting team and customers. However, the way in which *ANIMAL*Hosting allows its trademarks to be used is strictly prescribed by law. *ANIMAL*Hosting simply cannot allow the *ANIMAL*Hosting marks to be used without its explicit authorisation. For this reason, *ANIMAL*Hosting is forced to consistently monitor the use of the *ANIMAL*Hosting marks or risk losing ownership of those marks.

You are receiving this letter because it has come to our attention your site "www.*ANIMAL*hosting.com" is using our trademark name and domain name branding to push sales of related products. As you may be aware this is a breach of our trademark authorisation and Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act (ACPA), (Ref: Damages of up to $100,000 can be awarded against anyone who registered or "used" domains "identical to, confusingly similar or dilutive of" a trade mark in bad faith and with intent to profit).

With this in mind *ANIMAL*Hosting demands you cease and desist using the www.*ANIMAL*hosting.com domain name immediately and request the domain is released to the legitimate trademark owner 'Jonathan *Removed*' of *ANIMAL*Hosting.co.uk. Failure to do this will result in legal action being taken and costs recovered from the infringing party.

If you are unable to transfer the domain name for any reason you must notify the legitimate trademark owner *ANIMAL*Hosting.co.uk.

To transfer the domain name you will need to unlock the domain and provide *ANIMAL*Hosting with the authorisation code. You will also need to change the contact email address on the whois to contact@*ANIMAL*hosting.co.uk. Once these have been done the legitimate trademark owner 'Jonathan *Removed*' of *ANIMAL*Hosting will start the transfer.

Failure to comply with this cease and desist will result in legal action being taken.

Kind Regards
*ANIMAL*Hosting
http://www.*ANIMAL*hosting.co.uk

*ANIMAL*hosting.co.uk registered 23-Jun-2010
*ANIMAL*hosting.com registered 16-Apr-2004

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
simple 3 word response:

Go Pound Sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom