Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

trademark + "other word": any issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samuel Kahn

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If there's a trademark combined with another word in a domain name, would the owner of the trademark have any rights?

For instance: "VST" is a trademark of Steinberg for "Virtual Studio Technology", used in music production.

If I register a domain like "VSTeffects.com" and develop a site about virtual effects used in music production would this be a trademark infringement?

etech-peter

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I do think this would be a Trademark Infringement as the Trademarked word VST is in your domain. VST is used in music production and you intend to develop a site about virtual effects used in music production, the theme of both the sites would be the same. As long as you use the domain for totally different purposes, you are ok.

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Usage plays a big part of infringement. In this example, yes, you would be infringing on hte VST mark and there is little chance to retain the domain if challenged.

interactx

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you use a trademark with another word, it is up to the trademark holder if they want to pursue it. If so, then the decision is up to the National Arbitration Forum. You just have to know that registering it isn't a sure thing.

david4

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I do think this would be a Trademark Infringement as the Trademarked word VST is in your domain. VST is used in music production and you intend to develop a site about virtual effects used in music production, the theme of both the sites would be the same. As long as you use the domain for totally different purposes, you are ok.

I agree with you.

I have an example. 3mcg.com was registered by someone other than 3M ( famous trademark)

Guess what, 3G won the case and grabed it back...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom