Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Trademark owner is being a dick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So I created a website which helps people understand what the MMPI is used for. I've been contacted by the copyright owner and asked to transfer the domain over to them. They are claiming I'm infringing on their rights by merely mentioning their trademark (mmpi) but I believe it to be "fair use". What do you guys think?

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the University of Minnesota contacted you over this?

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So I created a website which helps people understand what the MMPI is used for. I've been contacted by the copyright owner and asked to transfer the domain over to them. They are claiming I'm infringing on their rights by merely mentioning their trademark (mmpi) but I believe it to be "fair use". What do you guys think?

If: a) people don't confuse you with the trademark holder, and b) you're (hopefully) not making any hint of commercial use (e.g. ads particularly of competing products/services) in the domain name's web site, then you probably have a fair use. Alas, fair use is best determined in a court of competent jurisdiction if it ever reaches that point.

Perhaps the remaining question here is how far you and/or the trademark holder are willing to go to defend your respective positions. If you really want to defend your usage, then you best seek an actual lawyer with real-world experience in this matter.

Good luck.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
the University of Minnesota contacted you over this?

Yes they did. The website does not confuse users about who owns the trademark. I'm definitely willing to stick to my guns.... I'm rather thick headed hah. Thanks for the input!

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So essentially they just threatened to take me to Federal Court. It's amazing how large corporations feel the need to bully the little guys. I just took down the site, which sucks cause it was getting 3-5k uniques p/m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom